Volunteer duty - 2 death calls in 1 night

Am on call this week.

Just had gotten off the trainer and took a shower and washed my hair. Dave came over so we could go to dinner - then i got called. It was a sad one(well - i guess they all are) and I had to stand outside with wet hair and the freezing cold for 1.5 hours assisting the family. In this instance I connected more with the family then my partner - so she went off and researched some info as I stay and talked/listened. As always - I did feel like I was a help. I can't say much more than that on this case to protect the privacy.

Stopped @ Qdoba for a quick bite - dave had waited for me. We watched an episode of "Six Feet Under" - it's not as morbid as it sounds and then @ 11pm the pager goes off again. I was thinking maybe it was question about the previous case - but no - it was a death notification.

Another death for a family that has known tragedy. This time my partner meshed with the family and she was more of assistance then I was.

Man - this sometimes is a hard job. I can't put into words how intimate it is to be in a person's life while this is happening. I *really* try to respect and honor the family and the victim. It's frustrating to me that I'm not good with words and can't even come close to describing how I feel about the fragility of life and the effects of losing a loved one. And what it looks like close up.

Comments

Popular Posts