code complete

I don't talk about work much. I LOVE my job and consider myself very lucky to be in the position I am...but when it comes to blogging - i'm pretty all about mtn biking (or ricky).

So I've been busting my ass at work for the past 4 months. My project started in July with a deadline of 10/30/09.

As I laid out the work I was confident that I had enough time to complete this project. I was thrilled that I was assigned to do everything from the architecture, setup and coding. It's my first big project since I've been able to delve (or maybe I should say sneak) back into the world of coding.

It's a new medication module for our software and there were several new (to me) components: such as doing my first webservice and working with Spring and Hibernate - but I figured I'd could handle it in that time frame.

As July progressed - I was on track. In August, I was on track but I knew it would be close. I had to stay on top of things and a couple of "bad days" could derail me. So in August - I only took a couple of days off work to ride (most specifically - doing the pseudo mtn biking guide gig) .

By the time September rolled around - I had run into a couple of road blocks and that took some time to get past - but putting in a few extra hours kept me on track. But I started sweating it.

At the very end of Sept and early October - I ran into a HUGE roadblock. I tried to get past it on my own and had to bring in one of the senior engineers to help me. Turns out the vendor I was working with had given me wrong information and when I FINALLY got to talk to the Dev Manager on the otherside we were able to bang out the problem in 2.5 days. Oh man - I was so frustrated with wasted time but I had to let that go and keep on plugging.

That roadblock really set me back but I knew if I busted ass I could still make my deadline.

So in October - I was pulling long days. At times rolling out of bed at 4am to immediately start working and working until 11pm and then doing the same the next day. I did go with Jeny to Moab - but while she was riding on Friday - I was at the hotel working. It was super close but by 10/20 - I knew I would make it. What a huge relief. I still worked long days but last week I had a code review (only requiring minor changes) and on 10/30/09 @ 5:03pm - I checked in my code. code complete. yay! :)

Comments

Popular Posts