Breck Epic Stage 5: Wheeler Pass
Whew - 4 days done and 2 to go. I was a bit apprehensive today - I had such a rough day the day before I was hoping my GI system would be working.
I did feel and look really bloated. I swear I looked(and felt) like I had gained 10lbs during the race. ughh...
Sadly, Alison wasn't at the start. The day before and her dehydration had gotten the best of her. I'm sure she was quite disappointed not to be at the start line.
I have never done Wheeler Pass. My friend, Cat Bywaters had told me her boyfriend (a fantastic rider) said the descent into Copper off of Wheeler was sketchy. Lynda had ridden it and told me it wasn't that bad but it would be worse if you were racing it. hmmm....I was a bit apprehensive about the descent too.
We started up a dirt road and I was pleased to find that even tho I was tired - I didn't feel too bad. We took a detour to get to Burro Trail, enjoyed a rocky trail to dirt road and then the climb to Wheeler Pass.
It was a long hike-a-bike for me. I would count steps and it seemed like after an hour of hab-ing - I finally reached the top. But it wasn't the top - it was the beginning of a saddle. It was boggy and marshy. There was a nice big scree field in the middle of the saddle and sadly i didn't even attempt to clean it - it looked a bit overwhelming to me. Finally the last bit of hike-a-bike to the top of Wheeler. whew - glad that hab was over!
here's a great video that Jeff K. made of the saddle portion.
2011 Breck-Epic Stage Race - Stage 5: Wheeler Pass from ergon on Vimeo.
It was windy at the top and even tho the first part of the descent didn't look too bad - my rear end was skidding all over the place. yowza! I felt tense and it was really hard to just 'let it roll'.
Then the singletrack narrowed and at the time it seemed like there was MAJOR exposure to the left. I ended up walking part of the exposed part. (Interestingly enough - I went back 3 weeks later and did this ride again and the exposure wasn't NEARLY as bad as I remembered.) I remember the descent being sketchy and big and bouldery. I walked more than I care to admit. It was a pretty long descent but finally I reached the bike path and it was on to the Peaks Trail. Molly had long ago left me at the start of the hike-a-bike but I caught up to her at Aid 2.
I suffered on the Peaks Trail. Any sustained hill I had to walk. I felt slightly vindicated later when Sonya told me she cyclocrossed some of the climbs too. Of course Molly passed me on the climbs and I passed her on the descents. I finally made it to the finish line in 5:46.
As I mentioned earlier - I went back 3 weeks later and re-did this ride. I cleaned the scree field in the saddle - no problem. And the descent off Wheeler wasn't that bad. It was all rideable - I did botch 2 sections on my re-ride but other than that I did pretty good. Having that success will be good when (if) i do this race again.
I was craving a burger so my sister drove me to Empire Burger. When I walked by people I would see them seem to recognize me and say hello. I would say 'hello' back but was confused. then I realized they were other racers and since I was getting on the podium every day they would recognize me. It felt weird to have people that I didn't know - know me. Once I figured out the deal I would chat with them. I think I would be a lousy celebrity.
day 5 done - one more to go! woot!
I did feel and look really bloated. I swear I looked(and felt) like I had gained 10lbs during the race. ughh...
Sadly, Alison wasn't at the start. The day before and her dehydration had gotten the best of her. I'm sure she was quite disappointed not to be at the start line.
I have never done Wheeler Pass. My friend, Cat Bywaters had told me her boyfriend (a fantastic rider) said the descent into Copper off of Wheeler was sketchy. Lynda had ridden it and told me it wasn't that bad but it would be worse if you were racing it. hmmm....I was a bit apprehensive about the descent too.
We started up a dirt road and I was pleased to find that even tho I was tired - I didn't feel too bad. We took a detour to get to Burro Trail, enjoyed a rocky trail to dirt road and then the climb to Wheeler Pass.
![]() |
| heading to the start of the hike-a-bike |
here's a great video that Jeff K. made of the saddle portion.
2011 Breck-Epic Stage Race - Stage 5: Wheeler Pass from ergon on Vimeo.
It was windy at the top and even tho the first part of the descent didn't look too bad - my rear end was skidding all over the place. yowza! I felt tense and it was really hard to just 'let it roll'.
Then the singletrack narrowed and at the time it seemed like there was MAJOR exposure to the left. I ended up walking part of the exposed part. (Interestingly enough - I went back 3 weeks later and did this ride again and the exposure wasn't NEARLY as bad as I remembered.) I remember the descent being sketchy and big and bouldery. I walked more than I care to admit. It was a pretty long descent but finally I reached the bike path and it was on to the Peaks Trail. Molly had long ago left me at the start of the hike-a-bike but I caught up to her at Aid 2.
I suffered on the Peaks Trail. Any sustained hill I had to walk. I felt slightly vindicated later when Sonya told me she cyclocrossed some of the climbs too. Of course Molly passed me on the climbs and I passed her on the descents. I finally made it to the finish line in 5:46.
As I mentioned earlier - I went back 3 weeks later and re-did this ride. I cleaned the scree field in the saddle - no problem. And the descent off Wheeler wasn't that bad. It was all rideable - I did botch 2 sections on my re-ride but other than that I did pretty good. Having that success will be good when (if) i do this race again.
| felt a little sheepish about my "win" today since my lone competitor didn't start. |
day 5 done - one more to go! woot!

Comments