ack...all of a sudden I'm nervous!

I haven't even been remotely nervous until today...

I'll be running my first half marathon this weekend.  The race will be *exactly* 7 months to the day when I started running....I like the symmetry of that.
 
I came into the running thing with my mtn bike endurance background and mtn bike cardio fitness, I'm very confident I have the endurance, mental toughness and fitness to finish.  However; the pressure is on because I set goals for this race.

I think that's why all of a sudden I'm nervous.  My goals are in order of importance:
      1) throw down and run my little fucking heart out and leave it all out there
      2) negative split
      3) finish in sub 2 hours
 
If I didn't have 9+ years of suffering on the mtn bike - finishing would be my goal.  However; I've raced some crazy long assed races(24 hr races & multi day races) and suffered in crazy horrible conditions (in the dark, 15degrees, blinding snow, un-rideable muddy trails, serious bonkage, lost in the wilderness, you name it...). I know I can endure 13.1 miles on my feet, but I am still nervous.

I've been walking around looking like this.

yep - that's my nervous look or maybe I just look constipated...
I think my time goal is what's making me nervous.   If I hadn't been injured in Feb and lost a month of training - I think I would be more confident.


My longest run to-date was11 miles and my legs were as dead, dead, dead during that run.   I tried to hold 9:40s for that run and couldn't get close - by the end of that run I was grateful that my avg pace was 10:01.   So, the thought of running an avg pace that is essentially a minute a mile faster for 13.1 - might be at the upper reaches of my ability.


Then in Tucson last week where the elevation is only 2500 - I ran 9 miles.   I was hoping at the lower elevation that the effort would seem easier.   The 9:35 average pace felt like work for sure and it didn't feel any easier than it would have in Colorado.


But I'm out of time - it's supposed to be cold and rainy on Sunday and I just have to go out there and hang tough and execute.    Hopefully, I'll become less nervous as it gets closer.  :)

One definite tho(as long as I finish the race) I'll have a half marathon PR!

Comments

Terzah Becker said…
Oh, I was so happy to see a post from you! Your posts always make me smile--this time it was your nervous look. You know it's true, you will probably be nervous until you cross that start line. But then it will evaporate and you'll feel great. And I think you will do great--the race environment is much different than training runs. I will be stalking you from California. Best of luck, my friend!
brgInRedSidis said…
 thank you Terzah!  I'll miss you this weekend. :(   btw - i changed the caption on my photo - I'm thinking my 'nervous look' and 'being constipated look' are the same thing!
pensive pumpkin said…
i am sooooo excited for your race because i know you are going to OWN IT.  


also, chevalier came in while i was reading your blog, saw your "worry face," and told me that you were too young for me to be talking to you.  I asked him how old he thought you were and he said early twenties.

so we can't be friends anymore because my old lazy ass might be a bad influence.  sorry.  
brgInRedSidis said…
 thanks for the vote of confidence! 

what?? we BETTER stay friends -  you're a great influence!  You inspire me in so many ways - plus, you are the best role model on how to manage life with pizazz, style and spunk.

And early 20s...that so cracks me up - he wouldn't think that if he saw me in real life.   Tell chevalier that it's the lighting and my 'salt and pepper' hair color doesn't stand out in that pic.
pensive pumpkin said…
do you moderate comments or am i too dumb to post one?  lol  you will be awesome, regardless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pensive pumpkin said…
okay, since that one showed up:  chevalier saw your photo and told me not to be a bad influence on the young girls.  i asked how young, and he said you look like you are in your early twenties.

looking for you to place in your new age group this weekend.  *cheering for you from afar*
Christi said…
Don't worry about the time.  Go out and enjoy the race and the experience.   Everything else will fall in place. 

I will be rooting for you from Colorado Springs!  Just listen for me!
Julie said…
You will kick a$$! 

Popular Posts