half marathon retrospective

I felt a bit "meh" and "blah" and a little "let down" after the Platte River Half Marathon.   I was so close to my goal of sub 2 hours.  2:01:38 was the official result.  However; I realize that at my current ability, I would have had to execute everything perfectly  to have met my goal.

I can hear my friend, Phil now - "forget the clock, you are too new running to worry about about the clock, execute a solid race and that's success - not some arbitrary time goal you have pulled out of the air".   As a data geek and number nerd - that's almost impossible for me to do.

Then I read this article.

I decided that  I did execute very well (do you know how hard that is for me to type that??)   - esp. considering this was my ever first half and the first time I had ever run more than 11 miles in one fell swoop.

I was conservative at the start, I picked it up in the middle miles, I made the most of the conditions by drafting people when I could, I essentially even split (1:00:40 vs 1:00:58) and I didn't bonk or 'hit the wall'.

I have a hard time saying I did something well.  I'd much rather downplay anything I might have done well.  I want to make excuses of "why".  I want to say "well...I have great cardio endurance from mtn biking so I'm not really a decent runner, it's just a by-product of the past"  or say "I've failed at a lot mtn bike races so I have learned how to pace and race, so this isn't my first go around with racing".

But you know what?  I did do good!  :)



Comments

Julie Taylor said…
I'm glad that you can see that now like the rest of us. YOU DONE GOOD! :)
Kathy R said…
Heck, yeah, you DID GREAT! Sooo ... can I talk you into runner Slacker or Georgetown this summer?? Hmmm?  All the cool kids named Kathy will be there!
brgInRedSidis said…
Actually, I had been looking at Georgetown in August - but then I realized it's the day BEFORE the 3 day mtn bike race in Breck I'm signed up for starts.  There is no way I would be capable of racing a half then do 3 day race in Breck.  I already paid my $350+ entry fee - but I may see if I can defer it until next year.   I didn't know about the Slacker - so that's a definite possibility!!!   So excited about your upcoming marathon - you are so ready!  :)
pensive pumpkin said…
damn right!
Terzah Becker said…
This post makes me happy! "My name is Cynthia....and (breath here) I RAN A GREAT RACE." You absolutely did. (And I really liked that article. My husband's voice in my head is my Zen master for this sort of thing: "Pass no one" in the early miles, I hear him saying.)

I hope I can join you and Kathy at either Slacker or Georgetown. :^)
4g said…
Every running injury I've ever had was in the relentless pursuit of faster, not longer.  If you want to really have a future in the sport, you need to quit yer stinkin' thinkin' and enjoy to run.  What would Caballo Blanco think about your time?
brgInRedSidis said…
so true that I totally over think things.   When I was playing pool competitively - oh how I envied the players that could play by "feel" - where in order to have confidence I had to measure and analyze the angles and trajectory of the balls.   I did become very good player with my style of play - but those 'play by feel' players are damn cool. 

I have such an ingrained engineer perspective - it's tough for me to let go of my data and I doubt I ever will.   I DO enjoy the run and I DO enjoy the numbers and at 50 years old - I'm guessing that ingrained part of my personality will continue on.  I do appreciate your perspective - makes me stop and think!   happy running!  :)
brgInRedSidis said…
 ok...i'm checked the calendar and June 23rd is free.  I have signed up for the Slacker Half.  
Kathy R said…
Slacker is amazing! More downhill so harder on the quads but the scenery is even prettier than Georgetown! We'll run it and smash some PR's!
brgInRedSidis said…
 hell yeah!  I'll have my summer rental in Breck in June.  Maybe you, Terzah and me can do a Slacker Slumber party. Downhill altitude training run, burritos/margs @ Luca's, watch Unbreakable afterward??   think about it!
Terzah Becker said…
 That sounds fantastic on many levels......
Kathy R said…
Oooh!!! I like it!

Popular Posts