Lucky 7s - Platte Half Marathon race report
Today is my 7 month running anniversary. Here's a link to what my very 1st run looked like back on Sept. 15, 2011. A whooping 1.94 miles - I thought I was going to keel over at mile one and need someone to come recuse me...luckily I was able to shuffle back home on my own.
So, with that number 7 banging around in my head - I had to laugh when I saw my race bib.
And I did totally luck out today. The weather forecast had called for 10-14mph headwinds, snow and rain. Luckily - there was no snow or rain during the race, just the wind - I consider that very lucky.
1. racing my heart out - I made a couple of mistakes and I really think I could have gone a little bit harder the last 3 miles - so I'm slightly disappointed in my mental toughness.
2. negative split - I was close. First 6.55 miles was 1:00:40 - last 6:55 miles 1:00:58, a 18 second difference.
3. sub 2 hour - official time was 2:01:38 ( I made a couple of mistakes that at least cost me a minute) and then I don't think I dug deep enough on the last few miles.
So, I'm alternating from feeling like I let myself down and feeling proud of myself. This is the longest distance I've ever run. I feel I executed well for the most part and as a woman my age, racing this distance for this 1st time - that's not too shabby!
Miles 1 - 4. It was crowded. I started in the 1:55-2:10 wave about a third of the way into the pack. There are 7 turns in miles 1 and 2 - so that slowed things down. - those 2 miles were a little slower than I would have like. Then at mile 2 we were routed on the multi-use path and it's fairly narrow - so it was better but still crowded.
Miles 5 - 10. I was feeling pretty good during these miles. It was windy but whenever I found myself in "no-man's" land, would scope out some guy ahead and then catch up to him and use him as a wind breaker. I definitely think that helped me conserve energy. Sadly, it never lasted for long - so I'd go on the hunt for another guy and repeat. These miles ended up being at a pace I wanted and fairly consistent and I definitely felt I was running within my capacity.
I was carrying my water using a Fuel Belt - 2x7oz bottles and in my hand, carried a small 5oz ergo gel flask with 300 calories of watered-down gel. Every 30 minutes I sucked down ~100 calories. I'm a carb burning machine and when racing mtn bikes I take in 300 calories per hour - I was hoping 150 per hour while running would be enough. I'm thinking I might need to up it to 200 calories per hour.
Miles 11 - 13.1. I have a friend, that is a very talented and fast runner - I trust this person and really take their advice to heart. This person has raced a lot - so they know what their talking about. The advice was when i need something from a aid station to fast walk the aid station or if it's a steep hill, power walk the hill for a 20 or so seconds to recover a bit.
Here's where I made my first mistake. Just after mile 10 clicked by -I could tell my legs were getting a tad bit cranky - so I pulled out another gel and walked the aid station while I took it in and drank water. This was my 2nd slowest mile.
When I walked the aid station - I didn't feel like I "HAD" to walk to recover but I felt I "SHOULD" walk it. Looking back, I feel I could have keep a slower running pace but still faster than walking.
I was getting tired but cranked out mile 12 at a 9:18. After mile 12 is a hill - not super major but major enough. Here again I took my friend's advice and power walked part of the hill. Then I asked myself "should I be walking? can I run this?" and the answer was "of course you can run this!" So I started running again - this was my slowest mile at 9:47.
One thing I've learned to do very well from mtn biking is active recovery. When I do a technical power move on a trail - I very often go anaerobic (i.e see stars) but I am able to recover by still riding but at a slower cadence. Like if a trail has a lot of moves one after the other like this one - you gotta keep the momentum to ride them all...so I've had a lot of "active recovery" practice.
I NEED to remember this while running. I should query myself to see if I need to walk or just go into "running active recovery mode". Lessons learned. I definitely think I could have run faster on miles 11 & 13.
At 12.5 miles the wind really picked up and I took off my hat to keep it from being blown off...that last bit to the finished HURT.
DONE! My garmin read 2:01:38 - official time 2:01:38. I finished 15th out of 80 in my AG. 377 out of 1421 in gender.
One thing I am VERY happy about is my "de-coupled" rate was 3.38%. That means my aerobic capacity for this run is very good. So that means - it's time to work on speed!!
I noticed my 2nd toe on my right foot was hurting. When I took off my sock - I saw I had a black toenail! Huh? I thought that only happened to other people...welcome to the club, eh?
After an ice bath and a sit in the compression boots - I booked to over to Reuben's for a couple of beers and nice bowl of chili! This place is Belgium beer heaven...yum!
Next weekend - I'll be racing a 25 mile mtn bike race. Using the word "race" loosely...I've been on my mtn bike for the grand total of ONCE this year. But I am riding in honor of my friend, Kirk (Rocky) Derichsweiler, he supported me at this race last year - Voodoo Fire. I'm making it an annual event to ride in his memory from now on. It makes me sad to type this...I miss him...
Organ donation saves lives!
So, with that number 7 banging around in my head - I had to laugh when I saw my race bib.
| seriously - who gets a number like that?? |
The quick and dirty:
Goals I was shooting for:1. racing my heart out - I made a couple of mistakes and I really think I could have gone a little bit harder the last 3 miles - so I'm slightly disappointed in my mental toughness.
2. negative split - I was close. First 6.55 miles was 1:00:40 - last 6:55 miles 1:00:58, a 18 second difference.
3. sub 2 hour - official time was 2:01:38 ( I made a couple of mistakes that at least cost me a minute) and then I don't think I dug deep enough on the last few miles.
So, I'm alternating from feeling like I let myself down and feeling proud of myself. This is the longest distance I've ever run. I feel I executed well for the most part and as a woman my age, racing this distance for this 1st time - that's not too shabby!
All the gory details(for those that are interested):
The plan to obtain the sub 2 hour goal was: Run the miles 1 -4 very conservative in 9:10 - 9:15 range. Crank it down for miles 5 - 10 run by PE and hopefully they would be in the 8:50 - 9:00 range and then run as hard as possible and hang on for dear life the last 3 miles. This is what actually happened...Miles 1 - 4. It was crowded. I started in the 1:55-2:10 wave about a third of the way into the pack. There are 7 turns in miles 1 and 2 - so that slowed things down. - those 2 miles were a little slower than I would have like. Then at mile 2 we were routed on the multi-use path and it's fairly narrow - so it was better but still crowded.
Miles 5 - 10. I was feeling pretty good during these miles. It was windy but whenever I found myself in "no-man's" land, would scope out some guy ahead and then catch up to him and use him as a wind breaker. I definitely think that helped me conserve energy. Sadly, it never lasted for long - so I'd go on the hunt for another guy and repeat. These miles ended up being at a pace I wanted and fairly consistent and I definitely felt I was running within my capacity.
I was carrying my water using a Fuel Belt - 2x7oz bottles and in my hand, carried a small 5oz ergo gel flask with 300 calories of watered-down gel. Every 30 minutes I sucked down ~100 calories. I'm a carb burning machine and when racing mtn bikes I take in 300 calories per hour - I was hoping 150 per hour while running would be enough. I'm thinking I might need to up it to 200 calories per hour.
Miles 11 - 13.1. I have a friend, that is a very talented and fast runner - I trust this person and really take their advice to heart. This person has raced a lot - so they know what their talking about. The advice was when i need something from a aid station to fast walk the aid station or if it's a steep hill, power walk the hill for a 20 or so seconds to recover a bit.
Here's where I made my first mistake. Just after mile 10 clicked by -I could tell my legs were getting a tad bit cranky - so I pulled out another gel and walked the aid station while I took it in and drank water. This was my 2nd slowest mile.
When I walked the aid station - I didn't feel like I "HAD" to walk to recover but I felt I "SHOULD" walk it. Looking back, I feel I could have keep a slower running pace but still faster than walking.
I was getting tired but cranked out mile 12 at a 9:18. After mile 12 is a hill - not super major but major enough. Here again I took my friend's advice and power walked part of the hill. Then I asked myself "should I be walking? can I run this?" and the answer was "of course you can run this!" So I started running again - this was my slowest mile at 9:47.
One thing I've learned to do very well from mtn biking is active recovery. When I do a technical power move on a trail - I very often go anaerobic (i.e see stars) but I am able to recover by still riding but at a slower cadence. Like if a trail has a lot of moves one after the other like this one - you gotta keep the momentum to ride them all...so I've had a lot of "active recovery" practice.
I NEED to remember this while running. I should query myself to see if I need to walk or just go into "running active recovery mode". Lessons learned. I definitely think I could have run faster on miles 11 & 13.
At 12.5 miles the wind really picked up and I took off my hat to keep it from being blown off...that last bit to the finished HURT.
DONE! My garmin read 2:01:38 - official time 2:01:38. I finished 15th out of 80 in my AG. 377 out of 1421 in gender.
Aftermath
I'm alternating between being slightly disappointed and being proud of myself. I was SO close to my goal, but so far away at the same time. There is no doubt - I can't wait until the Brooklyn half.One thing I am VERY happy about is my "de-coupled" rate was 3.38%. That means my aerobic capacity for this run is very good. So that means - it's time to work on speed!!
I noticed my 2nd toe on my right foot was hurting. When I took off my sock - I saw I had a black toenail! Huh? I thought that only happened to other people...welcome to the club, eh?
| what happens now, will it fall off? |
After an ice bath and a sit in the compression boots - I booked to over to Reuben's for a couple of beers and nice bowl of chili! This place is Belgium beer heaven...yum!
Next weekend - I'll be racing a 25 mile mtn bike race. Using the word "race" loosely...I've been on my mtn bike for the grand total of ONCE this year. But I am riding in honor of my friend, Kirk (Rocky) Derichsweiler, he supported me at this race last year - Voodoo Fire. I'm making it an annual event to ride in his memory from now on. It makes me sad to type this...I miss him...
Organ donation saves lives!


Comments
(I have no idea what combination of keys I accidentally hit to get this italic font. Sorry. Haha).
Good luck on the upcoming bike mtn bike race, such a big heart you have to ride in honor of your friend.
Congrats again!
oh well - I have another chance for a sub 2 soon. Racing the Brooklyn half in 5 weeks at SEA LEVEL. We'll see if that makes a difference or I if just wilt under humidity over 25%. :)
Yummy lookin' recovery meal!