The High Life

home away from home for 3 months!
I signed (well did the good old fashioned hand shake) the 3 month lease for my Breckenridge summer apartment today!  My best bud, Ted's Dad owns a beautiful 2nd home in Breckenridge and it has a garage apt that is rarely used.  I rented it last year while I trained for the Breck Epic and the owner gladly rented to me again this summer.  (I swear I have no idea why my life is so amazing, but I'm very grateful)

It's off Boreas Pass road and sits at a whopping elevation of 10,200+ .    I'm feeling the lack of oxygen for sure.  I'm slightly light headed and dizzy.

oh...elevation 10,273
It's 90 miles from the house and the temps are so much more comfortable up here than they are in Boulder during the summer.  Since I can work 2 days a week from home - I plan to spend 3 or 4 days a week up here.

First order of business was to check out running routes.   Since I'm familiar with all the mtn bike routes - I rode around today looking at the trails with the 'eye of a runner'. 

6 5.6 mile loop

I was hoping this loop would be 6 miles - but it's a tad short.  Here's what it looks like in pictures.

Starting off on Boreas Pass Rd - nice railroad grade

I guess the view isn't too shabby either, eh?

It's exactly 3 miles to Baker's Tank and the turnoff to SINGLETRACK

This tops out at 10,705 - no wonder I was light headed

feels like being in fairy tale land

pic doesn't do it justice, but there is some niiice chunky sections.  yeeHAW!

Lucha's

My most favorite find in Breck last year was Lucha's.   Everyone I told about the place has loved it.  It's what Chipotle should be - actually, Lucha ruined Chipotle's for me.   Since I discovered Lucha's, I have not been able to bring myself to go back to Chipotle.

So of course after scoping out the 5.6 mile loop - I treated myself to dinner.  yum!

made to order tacos, beer and queso...so GOOD!

That's about it...I'm about to succumb to an altitude (or otherwise known as lack of oxygen) induced nap.

If anyone wants to come up and do some trail running - let me know!!  

Comments

pensive pumpkin said…
Oh wow, that looks amazing.  I wonder what my body would do at 10,000 feet.  I live at about 6.  : )
Julie said…
What a great way to spend the summer! It's so beautiful! It's going to be fun to see all your photos this summer.
Terzah Becker said…
That route to Baker's Tank was my leg of the Colorado Relay last year! I'm so happy that you get this respite from the Boulder heat (though today wasn't that bad). Enjoy!
brgInRedSidis said…
 i thought of you when I rode that section.   I haven't actually run it, but it's on the agenda for Friday!!   btw - I got a nice downhill route all planned out for the Georgetown/Idaho Springs training run/slumber party!
brgInRedSidis said…
 I'm so lucky, eh??
brgInRedSidis said…
 I live at 5300 ft and my first few days at 10k+ leaves me very sleepy and in need of multiple naps.   Once I was so sleepy on a bike ride - I just put my bike on the side the trail and took a 30 minute nap!
Terzah Becker said…
 I wonder if Darren is going to let us run G-town. He mentioned the Heart & Sole Half at the Boulder rez to me as a possible training run/status check-in for August. I did that race last year as a training run, too, and it was *hot.*
brgInRedSidis said…
 We'll just have to tell him we like the higher altitudes when it's blazing hot down here.   We might have to gang up on him.  ;)
Meghan Forsberg said…
YUUUUUUUUUUUUM!  Your pictures are breathe taking - you are going to enjoy this rental that is for sure!
Jill said…
How cool that you'll be up in the high country for the summer!!  My aunt has a condo smack in the city of Breck; I'll be up there the end of the month, maybe we can hook up for some Lucha's (I've never been!).  Have a blast this summer :).
brgInRedSidis said…
 yes!  I'm always up for Lucha's!
Ajh said…
Beautiful place to live!  Nice job in half!
Lindsay said…
gorgeous! i am jealous that you get to spend 1/2 a week there regularly!! certainly don't have views like that over here in SC :) (and it's probably a *bit* more humid).

i have run with mace before - but a small one (it was a keychain). this lady had two huge cans the size of spraypaint (at least, i'm assuming they were mace, i don't know what else they could be?) i know what you mean though about sherry. it amazes me that people do things like that in this world and don't realize what the heck it means/does. better to be safe than sorry! thanks for reading my blog and allowing me to find yours :)

Popular Posts