seriously??

Any one that knows me - knows I'm not very domestic.   With all the great restaurants in Boulder, I enjoy eating out. (probably more than is good for me)  I have a very nice young lady come and clean my house once a month - so I don't have to mop my floors and such.

However, for the past 8 weeks, I have been supporting Dave and trying to make sure he eats right - I've been cooking up a storm.   All my friends and acquaintances are flabbergasted.

Tonight, I spent the evening making homemade trail mix and a batch of calabacitas.  I'm heading over to Dave's tomorrow night and had to remind him to put the chicken in with the marinade for tomorrow night's dinner.   If I had had some ripe bananas I probably would have made another loaf of cherry, zucchini, banana bread. Jeesh - I don't even recognize myself! 

I took pictures and figured I'd throw the recipes out there too.  :)


 

Trail Mix

2 cups baby pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup whole dry roasted almonds
1 cup shelled pistastios
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
4 tablespoons pure Grade B maple syrup
Coarse salt
1 cup dried cherries
Directions
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds, almonds, and sunflower seeds and the syrup until evenly coated. Spread the nuts and seeds out, in an even single layer, on the lined baking sheets and season with salt to taste. Bake the nuts, stirring several times with spatula or wooden spoon, until just golden, about 20 minutes.
Cool the nuts completely on the pan, then add the cherries and toss to combine. Store cooled trail mix in an airtight container at room temperature.  




Calabacitas

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 clove garlic
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 cup hatch green chiles
    2 cups diced zucchini
    2 cups diced summer squash
    1/2 cup corn
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic.  Saute until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Add zucchini, summer squash and salt; continue to saute, until tender, about 3 minutes.
   
Remove from the heat.   Add corn and green chiles.   Put mixture in oven proof container and bake for 30 minutes

Nutrition
Per serving: 40 calories; 2 g fat ( 0 g sat , 2 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 201 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% dv).

Comments

pensive pumpkin said…
I've never even heard of Calabacitas, but I want to make some now.  Mmmmmm.
pensive pumpkin said…
just saw the nutrition bonus as I was copying the recipe.  My scurvy and I are soooo making this.  not kidding.  I'm a pirate, arrr!
brgInRedSidis said…
 hope you like them.  tonight's dinner is chicken marinated in a chipotle marinade, spicy guac, sprouted grain corn tortillas and calabacitas.  yum!!!
Terzah Becker said…
Wow, yum! I have tons of ripe bananas right now--I need to try some of that bread, too.....
Meghan Forsberg said…
So domesticated!!  We usually eat out too - but trying to save some $$ to buy a place.  I HATE cooking.
Kate said…
Hooray for the recipes. :) The whole paleo eating/cooking thing is wearing on me.  Well, not the paleo part...more having to combine something I "can" eat with something my family "will" eat.
brgInRedSidis said…
 just goes to show - an old dog can learn new tricks.  I've never been much of a cook, but here I am at the age of 50 - cooking up a storm. I'm  heading to NYC next week and plan on eating out every meal!!!
brgInRedSidis said…
I miss pancakes and the easiness of pouring myself a big bowl of granola for dinner, or slapping together a pb sandwich!

I can't imagine trying to do the paleo thing AND have to feed a family that isn't on board.  Sounds like a lot of work!   Luckily for me, my boyfriend is on board with the plan and we don't live together, so I don't have to worry about every meal.  Good job.  
Jill said…
Anyone who is as dedicated to making sure their mate eats perfectly when they, themselves, are not a fan of cooking is one seriously awesome woman!  You deserve a medal just for that!  :)  The trail mix looks amazing!

Popular Posts