adventures on craigslist

Since I'm mostly running, I decided to sell my 2011 Specialized Carbon Era.
Sold the bike w/original stock parts - not the components pictured here.


Here's how it went:

Friday evening: 

  • Post bike on craigslist for $2200
Saturday morning: 
  • Email from Buyer #1 interested in looking at bike
Saturday afternoon:  
  • Buyer #1 and husband come by and thoroughly examine the bike and I let her take it home and have her husband setup the suspension/brakes/seat for her.  She rides for an hour at Marshall Mesa
Saturday evening:  
  • Buyer #1 brings back bike.
  • Buyer #1 LOVES the bike and then low-balls me for $1800.  
  • I balk and say - no way.  The absolute lowest is $2000.   
  • She then offers $1900.   
  • I said "no.  I don't *need* to sell the bike, I'm not desperate to sell the bike.  It's easily worth $2k"
  • She goes "then sleep on it and let me know if you change your mind"
  • Me "I'm not going to change my mind"
Sunday: 
  • Buyer  #2 emails me about the bike.  I'm in Silverthorne until Wednesday and we agree to  meet Wednesday after work.
  • Buyer #1 - texts and wants to know if I sold the bike.
  •  I say "no, but I have a potential buyer I'm going to meet on Wednesday"
  • (it's pretty obvious Buyer #1 really, really wants the bike)
Monday: 
  • Buyer#1 calls me and want to know if I'll take $1950.  ( she really, really wants the bike).   
  •  I said "no" and think (seriously, you know it's $2k and you are still low balling me by $50??  You are the one contacting ME, you are the one that wants the bike .  I already came off my price by $200 and you are still trying to squeeze out $50??)
  • Buyer #1 says "It's only $50.  And I know you have an appt with another person, but you know how *craigslist* people are"
  • Me (thinking - oh the irony) " Yep - i know how craigslist people are, but if I can't get $2k, then I'll just keep it - end of story"
Tuesday: 
  • Buyer #1 texts me and says she'll buy the bike for $2000.00  
  • Me (thinking - really?? you could of bought the bike on SATURDAY fo 2k)
  •  Me - texted her back "If the buyer I'm meeting on Wednesday doesn't buy the bike - I'll sell to you for $2k"
  •  Buyer #2 backs out of our  Wednesday afternoon meeting. 
  • I decide not to contact Buyer #1 until the Wednesday afternoon.
Wednesday: 
  • Buyer #3 contacts me and offers me $2000.   I say - "I have a pending offer of $2000.  Will you buy for $2100?" 
  • Buyer #3 - thinks $2100 is an extremely fair price, pays me cash without haggling. Buyer #3 buy the bike and emails me later in the afternoon to tell my how much his wife LOVES the bike.
  • 2.5 out of 4 people are happy.  Buyer #3, Buyer #3's wife, part of me is happy.   Part of me and buyer #1 are unhappy.
 I say 2.5 out 4 , because part of me feels bad and guilty for not selling to Buyer #1.  I know she loved the bike.  Why do I feel guilty for not selling to Buyer #1?  I've been feeling terrible all day long!

Comments

Kathy said…
Don't feel bad!!! She could see you didn't want to haggle and clearly the bike was competitively based on the interest. But you are a caring person ... So what can you do? :)
Kathy said…
Don't feel bad!!! She could see you didn't want to haggle and clearly the bike was competitively based on the interest. But you are a caring person ... So what can you do? :)
Kate Geisen said…
In my brief experience with CL, if it's good it's almost immediately gone. She haggled, you came down. SHE was the one who wanted to sleep on it, and that's the chance she took. I'd probably feel bad too, but you didn't do anything wrong. Now go spend that extra $100 on something that'll help cheer you up! :)
Jill said…
$100 can buy a lot of beer!! :)

On a different note: A woman Lucho coaches for Leadman had her expensive carbon mt. bike stolen off her bike in Boulder rack in the parking lot of her work. She's a little thing...said she's been looking on CL for another bike....I wonder if she was bought yours? Worse, I hope she wasn't buyer #1 :). Poor thing has no bike to ride Leadville mtb 100 now. Anyway, I heard via FB whatever type of bike rack she had, there have been many sotolen from it.
Cumulus said…
This is an interesting ethical question. Clearly, if Buyer #2 and Buyer #3 had been the same person there would be no question. However, does the change in buyer mean that you didn't keep your promise, "If the buyer I'm meeting on Wednesday doesn't buy the bike - I'll sell to you for $2k"? I think not. It's irrelevant to Buyer #1 what the identity of Wednesday's potential buyer was; all you really promised is that Buyer #1 could have it for $2000 on Thursday if it isn't sold by then, and you didn't renege on that.
K @ TS said…
Don't feel bad. The only reason you didn't sell it to her is because she was waffling and trying to low ball you. It's okay to haggle a bit but if you want the item, just pay the asking price! Don't feel bad!

I hate Craigslist for that very reason. There is no way to be sure that the people you are buying from/selling to are going to come through in the end so you have to take what you can get. This causes it to be a little back-stabby and wishy-washy. I wish there was a way to get a deposit so you would be sure the person is not going to fall through!
monishmathews said…
One of the best article ever readed! Keep it up. Can Read About Pre Ipo Unicorns
umairjoshi said…
Your Article Provided Good Knowledge & Very Easy To Read Some Similar info about Unicorn Stock Market Can also get information about Elite FundUnicorn Investment

Popular Posts