"Accidently" buying a table.

Playing at the tournament at Wynkoop reminded me how much fun playing pool was. The following Tuesday I went to "The Rack" on the Hill. Man! They have great "player's" tables. 9foot Gold Crowns, double shimmed pockets, 860 Simonis cloth (need I say more??) The pockets are tight and brutal - but a great way to improve your game. I made a vow to hit The Rack at least once a week and practice.

The following Saturday I was reading the Daily Camera business section and saw the heading
"The Rack on the Hill is closing". ?!?!? Damn. The following Monday I called and asked if it was true.

Jason (the owner) answered the phone and our conversation went like this:
Jason: "Yes - we closed last Wednesday"
me: "What are you doing with your tables?"
Jason: "Selling them for $1500 right now. After I move them I'll throw them on ebay for $3k"
me: "let me think about it and I'll call you back"

Now that's a GREAT deal on those tables. Brand new they go for around $5500 and used I've never seen them less than $3000. After much discussion with my boyfriend (and me borrowing a little bit of cash from him) I went to The Rack and paid Jason $1500 for a table.

Priorities - where to put the table? Oh - I know - lose the 3rd bedroom for a pool table.

A 9' table requires a LARGE room. Ideally 14' x 19' - now I live in the typical Boulder 60s ranch style home. 3 small bedrooms, 1 bath, 1 car garage.

Originally I thought I'd put the table in my boyfriend's basement (he lives in Erie, CO in a 1930s Craftsman style home). We measured this way and that and figured out there wasn't enough continuous room.

So we decided to knock out the walls to my 3rd bedroom that comprises 1 side of the living room. Here's the "before pic".


So for the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend - my boyfriend, me and friend Alex demolished the 3rd bedroom and finished it out. Man! One day we spent 3 hours at Home Depot and the next day 3 hours at Lowes. Just the shopping part was exhausting.

But by Tuesday - the room was pretty much done and it was time to have the table setup.

I had gotten the name of a "table mechanic" from Jason. The guy had no phone so I had to call the "Red Something Pool hall" in Denver and leave a message.

Advice from Jason - 1- The guy doesn't have car so you'll have to pick him up. He lives off of Colfax. 2- You'll have to pay him cash $150 3- don't offer him any beer. I did as Jason suggested and here's the finished product.

Comments

Popular Posts