Crash and Burn
In a car accident one day and a bike accident the next.
On Tuesday (January 24th) my boyfriend and I were heading west on Baseline at 5:30pm. As we approached the ped crosswalk we saw a lady with a baby stoller trying to cross - so we stopped. 4 seconds later - BOOM!!! We were rear ended so hard we were pushed into the crosswalk. Luckily the lady with the baby had not gotten to the front of the car otherwise we would've hit her. Dave's car a '92 Honda Civic CRX wouldn't move. The rear wheels were locked up.
It was a youngish girl ~20yo that hit us. She was really upset and i felt bad for her. The police came out and investigated and gave her a ticket. The Tow Truck driver loaded up Dave's car and gave us a ride home. The driver was nice enough to let us take off the Thule bike racks. Those things are expensive - so it was nice they weren't going to the junk yard with the car!
Of course they totalled the car - due it's age it wasn't "cost effective" to fix. A big time bummer as the car ran well, get's great gas mileage and was paid for. it was worth more to him than the $1700 they will be paying him. :(
The next day my neck was stiff - so I took a PTO day from work and went to the doctor. They said stretch, get a massage and take these muscle relaxers.
Since I was off for the day and was feeling OK - I went out to do my scheduled workout. (I work with a great coach to help me w/mtn biking fitness).
Wednesday's workout was a Time Trial - ride as fast as I could for 3miles - rest 10 minutes - do it a 2nd time. Record time and power wattage data. Last year my best time was 7:48. Off I went and I was SLOW. My times were 8:23 and 8:48 and my power was down by 11 watts from last year.
I was bummed - as I was riding home a car passed on the road and a rock popped up from their tire and landed directly in front of my front tire - I hit it. I came off the handlebars and hit the deck. I was probably doing around 18mph. ouch! It friggin' hurt! I landed half in the road and hurried up and got out of the road as quickly as possible.
I noticed my power meter(bought off of ebay for $300) computer
wasn't on my bars. i looked around and saw it in the middle of the road and here comes 2 cars. Yikes!!! I cringed and watched as both cars drove by and straddled the computer and didn’t smoosh it. Whew! Am I a lucky girl...the computer portion costs $100 to replace.
I was hurt - a big gouge and road rash on my knee. My favorite winter jersey with a hole in the elbow.

My handlebars and shifters were pointing in different directions than they normally do. I was a mile east of Hwy 36 on Hwy 66. I made my way back to Hwy 36 where I was going to hitch a ride back to Boulder.
As I was getting ready to hitch a ride back - my friend, Sasha, rides up on her road bike. She straighten out my bars a bit and offered to tow me back to Boulder. I "really" didn't want to ride anymore - but since it was such a kind offer and she was changing her ride to help me - I agreed.
I limped back to my car with Sasha's help.
Damn! I have good friends!!
On Tuesday (January 24th) my boyfriend and I were heading west on Baseline at 5:30pm. As we approached the ped crosswalk we saw a lady with a baby stoller trying to cross - so we stopped. 4 seconds later - BOOM!!! We were rear ended so hard we were pushed into the crosswalk. Luckily the lady with the baby had not gotten to the front of the car otherwise we would've hit her. Dave's car a '92 Honda Civic CRX wouldn't move. The rear wheels were locked up.
It was a youngish girl ~20yo that hit us. She was really upset and i felt bad for her. The police came out and investigated and gave her a ticket. The Tow Truck driver loaded up Dave's car and gave us a ride home. The driver was nice enough to let us take off the Thule bike racks. Those things are expensive - so it was nice they weren't going to the junk yard with the car!
Of course they totalled the car - due it's age it wasn't "cost effective" to fix. A big time bummer as the car ran well, get's great gas mileage and was paid for. it was worth more to him than the $1700 they will be paying him. :(
The next day my neck was stiff - so I took a PTO day from work and went to the doctor. They said stretch, get a massage and take these muscle relaxers.
Since I was off for the day and was feeling OK - I went out to do my scheduled workout. (I work with a great coach to help me w/mtn biking fitness).
Wednesday's workout was a Time Trial - ride as fast as I could for 3miles - rest 10 minutes - do it a 2nd time. Record time and power wattage data. Last year my best time was 7:48. Off I went and I was SLOW. My times were 8:23 and 8:48 and my power was down by 11 watts from last year.
I was bummed - as I was riding home a car passed on the road and a rock popped up from their tire and landed directly in front of my front tire - I hit it. I came off the handlebars and hit the deck. I was probably doing around 18mph. ouch! It friggin' hurt! I landed half in the road and hurried up and got out of the road as quickly as possible.
I noticed my power meter(bought off of ebay for $300) computer

wasn't on my bars. i looked around and saw it in the middle of the road and here comes 2 cars. Yikes!!! I cringed and watched as both cars drove by and straddled the computer and didn’t smoosh it. Whew! Am I a lucky girl...the computer portion costs $100 to replace.
I was hurt - a big gouge and road rash on my knee. My favorite winter jersey with a hole in the elbow.

My handlebars and shifters were pointing in different directions than they normally do. I was a mile east of Hwy 36 on Hwy 66. I made my way back to Hwy 36 where I was going to hitch a ride back to Boulder.
As I was getting ready to hitch a ride back - my friend, Sasha, rides up on her road bike. She straighten out my bars a bit and offered to tow me back to Boulder. I "really" didn't want to ride anymore - but since it was such a kind offer and she was changing her ride to help me - I agreed.
I limped back to my car with Sasha's help.
Damn! I have good friends!!
Comments