seriously?!?!?! it's over already??

once upon a time...
way back in 1990 - I was thrown onto a team of 5 people to 'save' a computer system implementation that went wrong. I don't know what it was about us 5 - but this team - "the patcom team" was amazing. Everything just fell into place and everyone had some skill that fit perfectly with others on the team and we totally kicked ass. We saved the implementation and became fast and furious friends.

Now this was early in my career and so I figured the chemistry and comradely we had on the team was just the norm.

Our CIO, Clark Pritchard, recognized that the team was special. I never forget what he told us when he took "the patcom team" out to a fancy dinner to celebrate our success.

In 1990, Clark (or Mr. Prichard as I called him) was in his 50s. (i thought that was ancient - doesn't seem so ancient as I'm quickly appproaching 50) When Clark was in his late 20s/early 30s he worked at NASA in it's heyday. He told us - "Appreciate what you have with each other. Teams like this when they fall into place are magical and when it happens it's few and far between"

I remember thinking that it couldn't be true - with the willingness to work together anyone can have a team like this. However, as the years passed - Clark's words have rung true.

It seems like if you try to force chemistry/relationships/magic it doesn't happen.

Over the years I've realized that whenever the "magic" does happen you have to appreciate EVERY second because it rarely lasts....and if it does last you need to appreciate it all the much more for lasting. I'm not sure this makes sense to anybody but me...but thanks to Clark - his words echo and remind me to live in the present.

sooo...all that's to say - I'm glad I enjoyed and appreciated the time i spent with Kim Luks.

kim and i
I met Kim in May 2008 - yes, I blogged about our meeting. We became fast friends and rode a ton in 2008. Kim and Dan were so much fun to ride with and hang out with. Kim is an awesome rider and always inspired me to try things I thought were above my ability. Seeing what she was capable of riding was always an inspiration. Last year we rode together, laughed together, shared secrets, drank tequila, ate and laughed even more.

I think the following picture says it all.

our friends gathered up our favorite pics of Kim and put them in this photo album. Man - did we have some FUN!


Going home

However, on the first day we met - Kim had told me that she was homesick for MI. It was hard for me to understand but she always talked about the her family, the lakes, the riding, her friends, etc.

As 2009 rolled around I didn't spend as much time with Kim as I did in 2008 but I figured as things ebb and flow this would too. So I was sad when Kim told me and her and Dan decided to move back to MI.

dave and I got to spend one last evening with them to wish them well.

i'm sad/kim's happy
one last banana creme pie



Aftermath

I'm glad Clark said those words so many years ago...at the time I had no idea how they would echo throughout my life. even tho our(kim and I) time together was short - I have tried to live my life with Clark's words of wisdom...appreciate what you have WHEN you have it.

so long kim...it was fun while it lasted!

Comments

Popular Posts