Grand Junction with new riding friends

The internet is a wonderous thing...I've met several of my friends through the internet. I've met some friends the "old fashioned" way but with mtbr and blogs there is a cool community out there and it's easy to met people that are on the same wave length.flat fixing time - Dan and Kim

My Saturday riding partners were no exception.

Kim and I have emailed back and forth trying to get together for riding here on the Front
Range but our schedules have never meshed. We were on a group ride together in Pueblo but with 26+ people on that ride we didn't actually ride together.

As it turned
out - Kim and her boyfriend, Dan were going to be in Fruita this weekend. Since I decided to stay a couple of days to enjoy the rocks and trails of Fruita/GJ after Thursday's juant - I was stoked to actually be able to ride with Kim.

Ironically, they were at the Super 8 in room 204 and I
was at the Super 8 in room 203 - directly across the hall.

Since I had to work during the day on Friday - we did dinner together at Pablo's Pizza (yummy) and made plans for eating breakfast and riding on Saturday.

Grand Junction has a cool little downtown and a bunch of good restaurants. Saturday morning we hit the New World Cafe for Apple Oat bran pancakes and eggs.(yummy - pancakes)


It was windy and chilly as we started up Tageguache doubletrack- but by the time we hit Widowmaker's Hill the arm warmers and layers were taken off. We rode through a
technical descent and finally to Little Park Road to do my now favorite ride in GJ - The Gunny Loop.

Kim and Dan are both excellent riders. Dan was on an Intense 6.6 and Kim on a In
tense 5.5. Dan is super strong all around - on the technical climbs, steep climbs and descents. Kim is very good all around too - it was fun trying to keep up (not so successfully at times).

I love riding with technically capable people - it's very inspiring. Esp. when a girl i
s cleaning all the stuff a lot of guys won't ride.

I did my best to not fall too far behind. We made quick work of the Gunny Loop and then rode up Ped-a-kes to Holy Cross. At this point - I was tired and decided to call it quits for the day. i was driving home and as much as I love Holy Cross -I was afraid I'd do something stupid and hurt myself or be way too tired to drive home safely. So after a few fun filled hours of riding with Kim and Dan - I filled up the car and my belly and headed home.

I took a few pix that day
Kim getting ready to roll a big drop.a little "nose-wheelie" action Kim neogiating the turn

Dan getting airKim launching and getting air

Comments

Popular Posts