injury avoidance dance...
Dance...did someone say dance? I'm a terrible dancer. Well...except there was this one time in 1996 when I danced amazingly well for hours on end with the drummer of the Cajun band, Mamou....but I digress.
When I first took up running, my triathlete friend(recently turned archer), Phil said the key to running is staying 'injury free'. I mentally scoffed at that...I mean how hard can it be to be injury free??? Considering all the consistently long hours (16-18hr wkly during my peak phase) I was training last year and all the techy terrain I was riding - I figured it would be easy for me to stay injury free.
But as I started ramping up the miles and duration of my runs, I noticed that I had to stay on top of the stretching and the recovery. If I didn't something would invariably hurt. I guess the good thing about being active is you learn what the 'good pain' is and what the 'bad/injury pain' feels like. So I've been calling this fine line of listening to my body, being very aggressive with recovery, and running as much as possible - 'the injury avoidance dance'.
I've been able to keep on top of things fairly well. Once when I felt I had strained my calf - I stopped running for 3 days and then I was good to go. I was stoked I was able to log 94 miles last month and was looking forward to even more this month. However; last Wednesday, my right adductor muscles started hurting. It didn't feel like a groin strain (i've had those before from speedskating) but like the whole group of adductors were strained. I attended my Power Max cycling class on Wednesday evening and every time I tried to stand up and crank out some power my right leg rebelled.
I didn't run Thursday and was limping around all day. Friday and Saturday weren't much better. I'm finally feeling just a tiny bit less pain today but I fear I'm going to be at least another week away from running again.
I have an appt with Josh @ AllSports for a MRT session tomorrow @ 5:20 - so maybe that will help. I'm so bummed that I haven't run in over 4 days!
When I first took up running, my triathlete friend(recently turned archer), Phil said the key to running is staying 'injury free'. I mentally scoffed at that...I mean how hard can it be to be injury free??? Considering all the consistently long hours (16-18hr wkly during my peak phase) I was training last year and all the techy terrain I was riding - I figured it would be easy for me to stay injury free.
But as I started ramping up the miles and duration of my runs, I noticed that I had to stay on top of the stretching and the recovery. If I didn't something would invariably hurt. I guess the good thing about being active is you learn what the 'good pain' is and what the 'bad/injury pain' feels like. So I've been calling this fine line of listening to my body, being very aggressive with recovery, and running as much as possible - 'the injury avoidance dance'.
I've been able to keep on top of things fairly well. Once when I felt I had strained my calf - I stopped running for 3 days and then I was good to go. I was stoked I was able to log 94 miles last month and was looking forward to even more this month. However; last Wednesday, my right adductor muscles started hurting. It didn't feel like a groin strain (i've had those before from speedskating) but like the whole group of adductors were strained. I attended my Power Max cycling class on Wednesday evening and every time I tried to stand up and crank out some power my right leg rebelled.
I didn't run Thursday and was limping around all day. Friday and Saturday weren't much better. I'm finally feeling just a tiny bit less pain today but I fear I'm going to be at least another week away from running again.
I have an appt with Josh @ AllSports for a MRT session tomorrow @ 5:20 - so maybe that will help. I'm so bummed that I haven't run in over 4 days!
Comments
I hope Josh fixes you right up. Fingers crossed that you'll be running again soon. At least it happened while it was snowy outside, right?