pushed over the edge...
I don't talk politics much - when someone wants to start a discussion - I just jokingly say 'my political stance is to bury-my-head-in-the-sand'. That usually kills that conversation with a little humor. I keep my opinions to myself and I like it that way.
Backstory
I'm an avid reader - you would think as a software engineer, data & gadget geek - I would have succumbed to an eReader eons ago.
I've stubbornly have stuck with my physical books. I think a lot of it has to do with my age and how I grew up with books. As an social outcast in my early years - books were my friends and gave me great comfort. I used to spend every day after school lost in the stacks at the local library. There I was safe with the books - no one made fun of me - or tried to copy off my test - or was looking for ways to play mean tricks on me. I could escape to many places and transport myself out of an awkward and lonely childhood. What would my life been like back then without the safety of books?
There are other reasons too - I don't think an eReader would fare too well during my hot bath reading sessions.
And all those other random "book" things
but then I was traumatized 2 days ago and knew that I had to switch to an eReader.
Mother Jones and the warehouse worker story...
On Tuesday, I was waiting for a PT appt and grabbed a magazine Mother Jones. I can't find the article online - but here's the sister article written by the same reporter.
The article was about the job of a warehouse worker...It's a horrible job(borderline slavery) and it's made me think a lot about all the "free shipping" I enjoy. I tell you - I can't stop thinking about it.
Most of the books I read aren't readily available so it's easier for me to find in via Amazon and order.
But the THING that pushed me over the edge was the reporter talking about her job as a "picker". Based on the items people ordered - the 'picker' has to find the item and send it down the line for shipping. Apparently, at the Amazon warehouse, some how the area and shelves the books are stored - keeps getting statically charged. So whenever a 'picker' pulls a book to be shipped the 'picker' gets an electrical shock. From what the reporter says - there is nothing that can be done about this and if you are pulling books for the day - be prepared to get an electrical shock every time you pull a book. Over 500 electrical shocks!!!
That made me think back to all the books I have ordered and I am horrified at the thought of someone getting an electrical shock for pulling a book off a shelf on my behalf.
I mean - I guess I knew that a warehouse job wasn't all fun and games but the electrical shock thing really hit home. I hate the thought of contributing to that happening.
So - with the eReader - no one will get an electrical shock because I want to read a physical book on the cheap and with the convenience of not having to leave the house.
From now on the only physical books I buy with be from Boulder Book Store or delivered wirelessly (and shock free) on my Kindle.
And yes - I am very much aware that the Kindles are manufactured in China (probably by Foxconn) by workers with basically the same mind-numbing/soul-sucking job of the American warehouse worker. But the Kindle will only be a one-time purchase for me - instead of the never-ending feeding of my reading habit with physical books and the accompanying shock factor...
it's made me really reconsider how I purchase things in general and now I realize 'free shipping' really isn't free...
postscript: I told a co-worker the reason I was buying a Kindle and he whipped out his iPhone and brought up this video. I was traumatized all over again! j/k - damn this funny!
Backstory
I'm an avid reader - you would think as a software engineer, data & gadget geek - I would have succumbed to an eReader eons ago.
| my new eReader - Kindle Touch |
There are other reasons too - I don't think an eReader would fare too well during my hot bath reading sessions.
And all those other random "book" things
- sticking a random receipt in as a book mark
- giving a much loved book to a friend
- looking at all my Science fiction books all lined up on my bookshelf
- going back years later and finding a note a cute waiter at Turley's left in my book while I took a trip to the ladies room
- folding down a corner
- sighing as I lay an opened book on my chest
- cursing myself for a big plop of salsa landing on a page
- all those interesting conversations over the years with random people - having them look at my book and ask "what are you reading?".
but then I was traumatized 2 days ago and knew that I had to switch to an eReader.
Mother Jones and the warehouse worker story...
On Tuesday, I was waiting for a PT appt and grabbed a magazine Mother Jones. I can't find the article online - but here's the sister article written by the same reporter.
The article was about the job of a warehouse worker...It's a horrible job(borderline slavery) and it's made me think a lot about all the "free shipping" I enjoy. I tell you - I can't stop thinking about it.
Most of the books I read aren't readily available so it's easier for me to find in via Amazon and order.
But the THING that pushed me over the edge was the reporter talking about her job as a "picker". Based on the items people ordered - the 'picker' has to find the item and send it down the line for shipping. Apparently, at the Amazon warehouse, some how the area and shelves the books are stored - keeps getting statically charged. So whenever a 'picker' pulls a book to be shipped the 'picker' gets an electrical shock. From what the reporter says - there is nothing that can be done about this and if you are pulling books for the day - be prepared to get an electrical shock every time you pull a book. Over 500 electrical shocks!!!
That made me think back to all the books I have ordered and I am horrified at the thought of someone getting an electrical shock for pulling a book off a shelf on my behalf.
I mean - I guess I knew that a warehouse job wasn't all fun and games but the electrical shock thing really hit home. I hate the thought of contributing to that happening.
So - with the eReader - no one will get an electrical shock because I want to read a physical book on the cheap and with the convenience of not having to leave the house.
From now on the only physical books I buy with be from Boulder Book Store or delivered wirelessly (and shock free) on my Kindle.
And yes - I am very much aware that the Kindles are manufactured in China (probably by Foxconn) by workers with basically the same mind-numbing/soul-sucking job of the American warehouse worker. But the Kindle will only be a one-time purchase for me - instead of the never-ending feeding of my reading habit with physical books and the accompanying shock factor...
it's made me really reconsider how I purchase things in general and now I realize 'free shipping' really isn't free...
postscript: I told a co-worker the reason I was buying a Kindle and he whipped out his iPhone and brought up this video. I was traumatized all over again! j/k - damn this funny!
Comments
I'm so glad I "met" you. People who make me think ROCK.