Random April Stuff

Injury update

This month I have been able to run pretty much all the prescribed workouts from Darren and at the paces he sets for me.  I ran 2 races in April (PRs in both since it was my first time at these distances - ha...ha...).   My adductors still feel a bit fragile.   I'm being very careful on my runs to make sure my glutes are firing - including smacking those lazy glute muscles while I am running and by paying attention to my form.   I'm meticulous about recovery, foam rolling and getting eStem, ultra sound and graston treatments if there is even a bit of tweak.

Mileage!

January was my first month of "training", Feb - I was injured, March - I was coming back from an injury and April - was able to consistently run.  I barely hit 100 running miles this month.  That is attributed to the fact the week after the Platte Half Marathon, I only ran a whopping 8 miles.  The low mileage was do to the fact I spent that weekend on my mtn bike. yeeHAW!



Speaking of mtn biking.

i LOVE me some rocks!
I love me some dirt, rocks and 2 wheels.   I'm itching to spend more time on my mtn bike soon.   I'm hoping I'll be able to maintain 100 mile running months and 35-40 hours per month on my mtn bikes...  I'm not sure my middle-aged body can handle such volume, but I'm gonna give it a go.

My boyfriend, Dave is going to run the Bolder Boulder.   I am declining to race it with him because it's the last day of a long weekend and there is no way I am gonna rest and taper for a race.  I plan on mtn biking 3 of my favorite routes - Indian Creek on Saturday and Buffalo Creek on Sunday and Hall Ranch on Monday.   I'd be WAY too pooped to race a 10k.

New stuff

Best running thing purchased this month.  Prescription sunglasses with "progressive lenses".  (that's a nice word for tri-focals for you young people)    It's so great to see distance and also be able to see my garmin without taking off my glasses.  wow!  should have done that a long time ago.
sunglasses w/progressive lenses...yeah - i'm OLD
In my 7 months of running, I have purchased 3 hydration running belts.  You wouldn't think running hydration would be so hard.  I am definitely not a "hand held" girl and as long at the belt doesn't bounce or move around when I'm running - I'm "ok" with a belt.   The iFitness was ok but the bottles SUCK!   The fuel belt was too big even when I made it as small as possible.  The Ultimate direction seems "just right".  I used it during my 10 miler last week and it didn't move or bother me. It has 2x10oz bottles and I like the gel flask hostler too - I water down my gels and it's so easy to squeeze in the 100 calories of nutrition when i need it.
so far - this is the ONE!

Upcoming races

I'm really excited about the upcoming Brooklyn Half Marathon in a few weeks.  I'm stoked I'll get to see and visit with Ricky.  I haven't seen him in person since the wedding last July.

Ricky (my little baby) and my beautiful daughter-in-law, Catherine
Catherine and her sister, Megan will also be racing the Brooklyn Half.   I'm thrilled we will all be in the race.
(stolen from FB)  Megan & Catherine - good looks run in their family.  I hope they don't mind waiting for me at the finish!

For the remainder of the year - I plan to run a half marathon a month.   That's seems to be a reasonable distance I can do every month without having to commit to a full running training schedule.   After May - I'm planning on riding and running to my heart's content and I'll run these races with whatever fitness/taper I happen to have on that given day.

Here's the schedule:
Brooklyn Half - May
Slacker Half - June (thanks to Kathy for talking me into this one!)
Keystone Half (my first trail half) - July
Georgetown Half - August
Golden Leaf (snowmass to aspen - trail half) - Sept
Oct/Nov/Dec - TBD

Pool

It's the 10th (and last) week of league and I'm still hovering in the top 3rd of the rankings.

I was hoping that playing in a league would motivate me to practice more...but that hasn't happened.  This weekend is a 2 day(Sat/Sun) final tournament with $1500 added.   I plan to play my absolute best on Saturday and I have a 12 mile run scheduled for Sunday.   I would totally LOVE to "get in the money" but I'm not sure how deep they pay.  If I win enough to make it to the Sunday matches,  I'll have to forfeit because I can't run 12 miles and then play any type of serious pool afterward.    I am looking forward to Saturday and playing under pressure.

I can say - I totally love pool and every Tuesday night I play - I have a blast.

15 seconds of fame...or is it 15 minutes??

So many of my friends have mentioned this to me - so I'll mention it too.  I was quoted in this month's Runner's World magazine - in their trail edition.  Way back when (right place, right time) I was asked some questions about recovery - so I gladly talked to the reporter.   It's not like I was a intentionally sought after person they wanted quotes from - just a random bystander.   I do think it's kinda cool.   My 15 seconds of fame...so I'm good in the "fame" department for the rest of my life.  :)  Happy running everyone!


Comments

Christi said…
Great job on your training!  I am so glad that you are enjoying your 1/2 marathons.  I think they are just the right distance!

Have fun on the MTB!
Terzah Becker said…
A half a month! That sounds like tons of fun to me. Hopefully I'll be able to make Georgetown with you. Maybe I should register.....

Your family race in Brooklyn will be great fun, and you'll love the sea level air!!
pensive pumpkin said…
Not only are YOU in the magazine, but one of my favorite trails is too.  Double yay!!!  LOL

Tell us how much you love your glasses!  I should do that, but frankly have never found glasses that don't fog up when I run.  Makes me angry.  Argh
Julie said…
Great schedule!  You are going to do awesome! I've always wanted to do the Slacker 1/2 it's just never worked into my schedule.

Great job on the pool playing too!
Kathy R said…
Woot! How great to be quoted!!!
Have a fantastic run in Brooklyn - I love that you're running a half a month!
Double WOOT that you are running Slacker AND Georgetown!!! I will see you there!!!

Popular Posts