climbing and carnage

Now since I've reached my goal of a sub-2 hour half marathon - it's time for me to go back to my first love - mtn biking.   As just about everyone I know was prepping to run the Bolder Boulder - I was on Colorado singletrack. 

The loop starts off with the 6 mile dirt road of Waterton Canyon - kinda a slog as you are itching to get to the singletrack.   PLUS there is always a head wind going up the canyon and by the time I am on the return trip - there's always a headwind on the way back. 

I can tell I'm still in the throes of 'running addiction' as I was thinking...hmmm...maybe I'll ride my bike the 6 miles - lock it to a tree and then run the 15 miles of singletrack....that would be a fun (long) day.  It's on the "to-do" list for this summer.

But I digress...this is a demanding ride - I've never ridden it in less than 3 hours and there is some steep, lung busting climbs on this route...several of them are in the range of 15% - 20% and at this time of year the trail is  nice and loose.   The total of 3300+ of climbing and some of the climbs in addition to be steep, have challenging rocks to ride over hike-a-bike over.   (I've never cleaned this section - it's on my list tho - just need the fitness and skillz...)



I went with a couple of my girlfriends - Dawna, Ari, Carrie, me.  Ari is only 19 but she's a great rider, Carrie (Ari's mom) is pretty darn good, Dawna is a fairly new rider and this was a big ride for her, but she sucked it up and hammered it out.

Dawna, Ari, Carrie, me
As we were approaching the singletrack - a gentleman (on a really nice SWorks) asked for directions for the Roxborough loop (shorter version of our ride).   Then he said "I read your blog."  Carrie goes "Did you know her or just recognize her from the blog pictures."   He said "i just recongized her".  I was embarrassed and said "thanks".  He said "you do some impressive stuff".   I was a bit flustered because I don't think I do anything that impressive. Then he said "the breck epic is impressive".   Ok...I have to agree the Breck Epic is hard.  I  said "Yes - that was really, really hard - but fun.  I love to ride my bike!".   So dude - if you are reading this thanks a lot of the compliment - it made my day!!!   Hope you had a good ride.  :)


Back to the trial description.... what goes up - must come down and there is a TON of fun descending.

carrie - all smiles.  the wild flowers and greenery was off-the-chart beautiful!
Dawna - she's got some nice arm muscles - I need a set of those!
me - exiting an amazingly, fun, twisty singletrack section
This is me riding the A line at the end of the ride(old pic) - sadly some guys were clogging up the A line by walking it - so we had to go around those dudes and ride the B line
Only 1 little boo-boo... Dawna slide out on a loose rocky section and got this 'badge of honor'. 
can't have a ride without a little carnage!  ouchie!

Stats:

Ride time 3:38
Elevation gain: 3360
Elevation loss: 3327
Fun factor:  off the charts!

Steamboat Half marathon is next weekend.   I plan to run and ride more this week - so I'm not expecting much - but it should be fun!

Comments

Kathy said…
Almost ran there yesterday but opted for millwork by my house instead. I've ran the single track for about 2 miles uphill and then puked. Not fun - but pretty! I'm usually running the main road every week!
Woot to you, bloggie celebrity!
brgInRedSidis said…
 I remembered you run there quite a bit - so I kept my eye out for you.  let me know if you ever want to do the ride/run combo.   We can start off small and do the Roxborugh loop (6 miles of singletrack)  instead of the Indian Creek loop (15 miles of singletrack)...just a thought...  ;)
Meghan Forsberg said…
I am SO JEALOUS.  This looks like a blast.  I really need to get into this mountain biking stuff - maybe I will get injured less.  Love the battle scars.
pensive pumpkin said…
are you saying you didn't KNOW that you're a rock star?  duh!??!!!  *grin*
Terzah Becker said…
You make that biking look fun even to me!
brgInRedSidis said…
 heh...i'm not a rock star - I'm just some nerdy dork on the internets... :)
brgInRedSidis said…
I think he did good for his first 10k...54:03.  I think he was disappointed in his time even tho he didn't have a time goal and doesn't really know how to 'race' a running race.  I thought he would do closer to 8 minute miles.   The only bad thing is I *thought* I had him convinced to do the Steamboat Half with me, but yesterday he said he wasn't going to go - he doesn't like racing.  :(

Popular Posts