Plan B....
sigh...the best laid plans, eh?
The Eugene marathon is this weekend and it was to be my 1st
marathon. However; I'm injured with a
'stress reaction' on my lower left tibia.
So, there's a...
1. 100% chance I will not be running
a marathon this weekend
2. 60% chance I will not start the half marathon
3. 35% chance I will start the half marathon and not finish
4. 5% chance I will start and finish the half marathon.
my mental state
I'm disappointed, but not bitterly disappointed or crushed the marathon
won't be happening. I've had a suspicion
the last 2.5 weeks that there was a good chance I wouldn't run the
marathon. I had kinda gotten used to
that possibility so when the decision was made it was disappointing, but not
devestating.
I am also bummed because I felt I had a really good shot at a sub4 (a
BQ for me) at my current fitness. Last
week I was cranking out 9:30 min miles at altitude and at
a very low effort (high z1/low z2). If
I could run 9:30s at altitude - would could I do at a higher effort (9:07s - BQ marathon pace) at sea
level? Guess I'll never know...
BUT even tho I'm not running the marathon -it will be nice to launch into
the rest of Spring and Summer with a very nice cardio base.
hope springs eternal
I had hoped to salvage "something" and run the half
marathon. I mean I don't want to totally
waste the fitness I have and PLUS the opportunity to run at sea level doesn't
happen very often. I often hear that sea
level is good for 15 - 20 seconds per mile faster. My poor little ego would love to record those
faster miles in my memory.
reality check
At this point in time - I am not feeling "pain" when I run. However; I do feel a tightness in my lower
calf.
I told my pal, Dana about my plan to attempt the half, but not race it or
stop if I feel pain. Her words of
advice "you have nothing to prove on a half marathon, you know how you are
- you WILL compete if you start the half.
Maybe you should just look at this like a fun weekend and not race at
all. Racing may make the injury worse
and it will make if a longer recovery time."
what to do
Before I talked to Dana - I was 100% sure i would start the half
marathon. But her words rang true. Now to weigh the risk of even starting the
half or making the decision to not run at all...
Comments