I shouldn't complain...

For the next week (maybe more) I am only allowed to run the max of 3 miles per day on the turf field at CU Kittredge Field.  I can only run in zone1 and low zone 2 - no strides, sprints or speed work.

At least the view doesn't suck


Lucky for me it's only 1 mile from the house and I ride my bike to Kittredge and then start my run.  And well 3 miles isn't that long so running laps is bearable.

 I am still recovering from my tibia stress reaction.  I had hoped after taking a whopping 2.5 weeks totally off from running that it would be resolved.  Last week I ran a whooping 11 miles and tho I wasn't having pain - I could feel some calf tightness.

This week I scheduled an appt with Dr. Richard Hansen to see if he could help me get to the root cause of my problem.  After reviewing my history and an exam - he believes that the tibial tendon being inflamed caused the insult to the bone.  It appears that my strong and big calf muscles (i'm guessing from mtn biking) and  the fact my big toe joint (don't remember the "official" name) is too flexible and is causing the tendon to overwork.

He did some Active Release Treatment and Graston on my foot and then taped up my foot/leg.  He said only 2 -3 miles per day running and only on the turf field.  Up to an hour road biking, but only spinning and no mtn biking.  So for now the plan is do get rid of the inflammation and after that work on strengthening my foot.


ahhh...Spring is in full swing and it's gonna be tough to be patient!

Comments

Terzah said…
Dr. Hansen is great! You are in very good hands! And I like running at Kittredge--it's the best place for barefoot running, too.
Kate Geisen said…
I'd have a hard time not complaining, I'll admit. The view and the fact that you're being smart and dealing with your injury have to be a consolation. Here's hoping the healing process goes quickly!
Jill said…
But at least you have some pretty Spring-like accessories! :)
ajh said…
Hope it's better now. It's hard to not be able to do what we love.
MILF Runner said…
"...insult to the bone." I hope things continue to improve on track!

Popular Posts