Mashall Mesa Nemesis or MiracleOnMarshallMesa

There's this step-up on Marshall Mesa. Now MM is an easy trail - no climbing or major technical sections to speak of - except this one part. There is a "cheater line" around the step - which I've ridden - but I've always felt pretty lame saying "i cleaned that section" knowing i rode the cheater line.

But I've been afraid to try the step-up. If it was a straight on approach to
the step-up - I'd have no problem trying it. But it's ~16" high at an angle and slightly off-camber - plus pretty much exactly a wheel-base in length after a smaller 6" step-up which adds to the "freak me out" factor.

Armed with my re-found confidence after a weekend in Moab - Dave and I went out to try it on Friday afternoon. Of course here's Dave cleaning the puppy without even thinking the first time he saw it.

At the start of our ride - i was riding like a beginner. I swear I couldn't even clean the 6" and 8" step-ups leading to the big step. Dave said I looked really stiff and uptight. I straight up balked like 3 times at the big step. I said - let's go ride a bit more so I can get my mojo going. We rode a bit more and practiced riding up some waterbars and then came back to try it agai
n.

I had Dave spot me while I attempted (and was determined to commit) to at least trying. Oh my! I totally nailed it and it was easy. it had me wondering why I had been so intimidated.
i did it a few more times and then have Dave do a little video of me cleaning it. when I ran it in slow-mo - i was very happy with my technique - popping the wheel, standing up and getting my weight forward, and kept pedaling to get the rear wheel over the step. Dave was like "i *knew* you had the skills to do it". Mind over matter.



After that we got "step-up" happy and Dave wouldn't let me use the "cheater rock" on this step-up.

Comments

Popular Posts