new kid on the block

or I should say - new guitar in the house.

Steel string guitar - solid wood construction
with a cedar top and mahogany sides/back

After my "wasting time" post I have made it a point to practice my guitar more. I've been leaning toward learning folkish music. Neil Young, James Taylor and the like. I prefer their songs on an acoustic guitar vs. the electric guitar.

Dave has an acoustic guitar he keeps at my house and I've tried playing it but it's really big. It's a Martin dreadnought style guitar and it's very awkward for me to play. So I've been looking around at the different body styles and the 3/4 size cutaway seemed like it would be a good fit.

me playing Dave's dreadnought - it's huge!

Dave and I went to Robbs Music store in Boulder on Friday and tried out different guitars. Dave was worried that a smaller body wouldn't produce good sound and wouldn't project loud enough.

We looked at Takamines and Martins and then Dave played this one. A Trinity College guitar - we could immediately tell the difference in sound quality on this little puppy. We took turns playing it and Dave was very impressed with the sound. Seth the owner of Robb's was very nice and patient with us and made me a pretty sweet deal on the guitar. I thought I made an unrealistic offer and even tho he didn't meet it - it was pretty close...better than I expected. After doing some research on the internet after I got home - I realize I did get a pretty sweet deal on it.

TC guitar - more "cynthia sized" than the dreadnought ;)


Man - the guitar is really pretty - it has an understated simplicity. I don't like gaudy, flashy or over-the-top styles and this suits me just fine. The neck is a tad bit bigger than the one on my Les Paul Special but I think I can make do...I've been playing the snot out of it ever since i got it. Even tho I had callous' on my fingertips already they are a bit sore...even typing hurts.

Comments

Popular Posts