the power of words

"...this is a story of edges....The exact line where one thing becomes another. The exact point where an edge becomes sharp enough to cut you"

These words are an excerpt from a short story by Ted Kosmatka - this story is in the June 2008 issue of my Sci-fi mag.

Those words are at the beginning of the story and they really pulled me in...for me it brings up the aching feeling of loss/love/sadness. I had no idea what the story was going to be about - but in those few words I was completely sucked in and several months later I find myself thinking of those words.

The power of words - this subject has been on my mind for a few month and I know I won't be able to do it justice.

I'm an avid reader - i read fiction(mostly of the sci-fi variety), non-fiction, blogs, newspapers (I love the daily camera is so small town), etc...
Words have the power to invoke every emotion/feeling possible, the power to make people act, reminisce, inspire or even just identify with the writer.

Here a couple more recent examples of snippets of writings that hit home.


Recently i was reading an article about a Seattle singer/songwriter and she was describing her perfectionist tendencies and how she how learns to accept her music

"(it's) like looking the mirror and trying to see what you *really* look like...you will always be seen by someone else and they'll see something that you don't"

Finally I read something in a friend's blog - she captured the beautifully simplicity of a simple bike ride.

"
I get to look at the mountains, swerve around the dog walkers, do the subtle finger wave to other cyclists and runners, check out the huge diversity of birds out there..."

Comments

Popular Posts