romanticizing

Romanticizing: that's was I call someone stretching the truth to paint themselves in a better light. I have a friend in particular who consistently does this when talking about her race results. The thing about it is there is always *kernel* of truth to the story - it's just ironic she as recounts the information it always errs on the side favorable to her.

Personally I would like to romanticize my race results too but since I'm a numbers/data geek - the hard, cold facts keep me in check. ;)

Which brings me to my Garmin Edge 305. I think my Garmin sometimes "romanticizes" the elevation gain on my rides.

For example - at the Breck 36 - the actual unit indicated ~4700elevation gain. However, when I downloaded the data to www.connect.garmin.com - it indicated a gain of 5236 ft. That's an 11% discrepancy. (oh the mileage data always seems spot on tho)

I tend to think the numbers on the actual unit are more accurate then the numbers that are downloaded. From now on I'll just assume the number is 11% less than what's on the Internet. ;)

So all that rambling leads me to Monday's ride. I took the day off and rode with a friend. 25miles of glorious singletrack and 4555 ft elevation gain.(adjusted) ;) 5.5 hours total time and 4.5 hours of actual ride time - I was good and tired afterward.

A wonderful way to spend a Monday



Comments

Popular Posts