gotta love the minutia of technical details to love SpeedSkating
Just got back on Sunday from a week in Salt Lake City where I was working on my speedskating. Here are my thoughts of the trip...
people that speedskate are weird
It's a strange breed of people that are attracted to this sport. It seems like a lot of technical musicians (ie. people that play intricate piano pieces or classical guitar)are speedskaters. Also, the personalities of the people seem to be of a very literal sort. It's hard to use sarcasm and joke around with a dry sense of humor as it falls flat. Most conversations have to do with things very black and white. what this says about me and my attraction of the sport - well...i'm not gonna think about that....ignorance is bliss, eh?
speedskating is hard and repetitive and unintuitive
you have to love doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. ad nauseam Working to get the movement *just* right. As said in the heading - 'gotta love of the minutia' of being precise. Actually I like doing drills and practicing - it was one of the reasons I got so good at pool back in the day. Also, nothing about speedskating is intuitive - as Rex (my coach) says - "if it feels natural you are doing it wrong"
SLC rocks for speedskating
I got a whopping 8 hours of ice time in 5 days. I worked with Rex on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Worked with Marion (the lady i was staying with) on Tuesday and on my own on Thursday. I can't describe how awesome the ice is...smooth as glass and fast as hell (if you know what you are doing) It's never very crowded on the ice and Tues/Thursday I had the ENTIRE Olympic Oval all to myself. How sick is that?? It's totally not *right* for a hack like me to have personal use of a world class facility (the fastest ice on earth) but hey - i'll take it. I was teasing Rex saying "God must want me to learn to speedskate since I got the ice all to myself". (i'm not sure he got the joke tho...) :(
SLC kinda sucks for everything else
The pollution was horrible. It's in a valley and I couldn't see the mountains due to the smog. The air was so unhealthy it was unsafe to exercise outside. (I had taken my road bike hoping to ride) SLC also seemed to be full of unhealthy people (yes - i know i live in the boulder bubble) but majority of the folks are overweight, it's big box store after big box store, chain restaurant after chain restaurant and nothing that really differentiated it from any other suburban area. I dunno - maybe i was in the wrong part of town.
I'm glad I went - I made HUGE gains in my skating (thanks to Rex, Marion and all the ice time) and I'm looking to go back in a few weeks.
But man - i was so GLAD to get home - I kissed the floor!
people that speedskate are weird
It's a strange breed of people that are attracted to this sport. It seems like a lot of technical musicians (ie. people that play intricate piano pieces or classical guitar)are speedskaters. Also, the personalities of the people seem to be of a very literal sort. It's hard to use sarcasm and joke around with a dry sense of humor as it falls flat. Most conversations have to do with things very black and white. what this says about me and my attraction of the sport - well...i'm not gonna think about that....ignorance is bliss, eh?
speedskating is hard and repetitive and unintuitive
you have to love doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. ad nauseam Working to get the movement *just* right. As said in the heading - 'gotta love of the minutia' of being precise. Actually I like doing drills and practicing - it was one of the reasons I got so good at pool back in the day. Also, nothing about speedskating is intuitive - as Rex (my coach) says - "if it feels natural you are doing it wrong"
SLC rocks for speedskating
I got a whopping 8 hours of ice time in 5 days. I worked with Rex on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Worked with Marion (the lady i was staying with) on Tuesday and on my own on Thursday. I can't describe how awesome the ice is...smooth as glass and fast as hell (if you know what you are doing) It's never very crowded on the ice and Tues/Thursday I had the ENTIRE Olympic Oval all to myself. How sick is that?? It's totally not *right* for a hack like me to have personal use of a world class facility (the fastest ice on earth) but hey - i'll take it. I was teasing Rex saying "God must want me to learn to speedskate since I got the ice all to myself". (i'm not sure he got the joke tho...) :(
SLC kinda sucks for everything else
The pollution was horrible. It's in a valley and I couldn't see the mountains due to the smog. The air was so unhealthy it was unsafe to exercise outside. (I had taken my road bike hoping to ride) SLC also seemed to be full of unhealthy people (yes - i know i live in the boulder bubble) but majority of the folks are overweight, it's big box store after big box store, chain restaurant after chain restaurant and nothing that really differentiated it from any other suburban area. I dunno - maybe i was in the wrong part of town.
I'm glad I went - I made HUGE gains in my skating (thanks to Rex, Marion and all the ice time) and I'm looking to go back in a few weeks.
But man - i was so GLAD to get home - I kissed the floor!
Comments