Why I ride a rigid SingleSpeed Now my friend Tom gives me heck on riding a rigid singlespeed. He constantly reminds me I’d be “competitive” in the races if I used a bike with more then 1 gear and suspension.
Here’s the reason I chose a SS
- It’s lighter than a bike with gears and suspension. I’m 4’10” (the size of the avg 5th grade student) normal bikes are heavy for me.
- It’s simple. In a world where things tend to get complicated or “over-engineered” – I love the simplicity of a SS. A frame, 2 wheels, 2 pedals, 2 tires, a seat, brakes and a handlebar. You can’t make a bike much simpler then that
- It requires a bit more skill, finesse and mental toughness to ride. It’s the reason I prefer 9ball to 8 ball. 8ball is way easier than 9ball – but I love the simplicity of 9ball even though it requires more skill to play than 8ball.
- You can’t rely on technology to save you. With suspension you can be sloppy and lazy and still get away with a lot on technical terrain. With a rigid bike you have to pay attention and have the skill to get through a technical section – this has immense appeal to me.
- You have to choose 1 gear depending on the terrain. You have weigh the climbing, descending and flats – so you *try* to pick the gear that will work best on the terrain you are riding. I like of whole process of “I know I’ll suffer more on the climbs but I’ll have enough of a gear to pedal on the flats” decision process.
There aren’t many women that ride a SS at the races so I’m forced to race in the category of Sport Women with geared suspension bikes. Depending the course terrain – there is usually (esp. at my fitness level) a time penalty one way or another on gear selection. But so be it – I know this going in.
Race start – carnage.
It’s a 3 lap 4.5 mile course with 700 feet of climbing per lap – for the total elevation gain of 2100 feet.
23 girls at the race start. The categories are broken out into age group this time. 19-34, 35 – 44, 45+ (my age group)
This race starts off with a 1 minute big-ring slight descent into a 2minute middle-ring climb into a headwind. After the 2 minute climb you are dropped into some fast singletrack that crosses a loose, rocky drainage ditch. My plan was to draft up the 2minute, headwind climb and then blast out to the front in order to not get behind the girls that couldn’t ride the rocky drainage ditch. The drainage ditch isn’t a problem to ride for me – so I knew I could gain some time if I could put out the effort to get out front and not get stuck behind girls walking the rocks.
I spin like mad to keep up on the slight descent and make my way up to 5th place or so. Then I hear someone buzz my rear tire. WTF?? My bike wobbles but I’m able to keep it upright. I glance behind me and I see a girl in a pink jersey hit the deck and slide on the gravel (I mentally wince) then another girl falls and someone runs over her with their bike (ouchy). Oh my…but I see people getting up and there don’t be appear to be any broken bones so I turn around and start racing again.
Racing
I’m still about 5th in the group of 23 girls and luckily the girls in front at ride through the rocks. It’s a power course with nothing more then 2 or 3 minutes climbs followed by a quick descent and then another 2 or 3 minute climb.
I’m hurting pretty good but I’m focused on riding my best.
We are getting the crux of the course for me - 2 steep swtichbacks. The 1st switchback is ridable for me but the 2nd one isn’t – I’ll have to get off the bike and push. I give the girl in front of me a little “bobble room” hoping she’ll clean it and she doesn’t. But I’m able to squeeze by the inside and ride up the switchback only to have another girl in front stop and block the trail. It’s a total bottle neck and in the chaos of girls trying to get by a group of 5 women catch up to us. Now we are at the 2nd switchback – I’m pushing and 5 girls get by me as they are able to downshift and keep riding while I’m walking. Crap!
I hop back on the bike and pass 2 girls. A different girl passes me and says “Cynthia - great job on the SS – you
make it look so easy” I gasp out “thanks!” as she zips past me.
So the race goes – things are pretty much sorted out by the 3rd lap. I was continuously battling it out with 3 or 4 girls. Me passing them on the climbs (at one point as I’m passing - some girl says “that’s not fair – I probably weigh 40lbs more than that tiny person”) and then they’d pass me on the big ring descent.
I was able to keep several girls in sight but knew the strong women in my class were in front. But I’m super happy with the way I’m riding and my effort.
Closing the gap
I get back to the car and change clothes. I walk up to where the results are posted and see Tom.
Tom: “Cynthia you did really well”
Me: “really???”
I go and look at the results and I’m 6th out of 7.
Me: “what do you mean I did well”
Tom “look – you only 3 minutes off the podium. If you weren’t so pig-headed and were you riding a geared bike – you’d would be on the podium”
After reviewing the results I am stoked with my race. I’m 4 minutes faster than I was last year on my geared bike on the same course. PLUS I’m closing the gap on the women that consistently beat me. The margin of time they are ahead of me is closing. It’s just a matter of time before I bridge that gap! :D
Tom: “do you have your camera”
Me: “I thought I did but I can’t find it”
Me: “why?”
Tom: “because I want you to take a podium shot of me – I got 2nd”
Me “oh wow! That’s so awesome!”
I totally felt like a lame-o that I didn’t ask how he did. Turns out April had a great race too – 5th out of 8 and she’s super happy considering it’s her 2nd ever mtn bike race.
Wow! What an amazing weekend!
Comments
You rock!
WOOHOO!
Jj