sobering read....
So I was checking the Seracfilms website the other day to see if Mike and crew had summitted. (they summited on 5/24/07)
I was surprised when he told me last fall that he was going back to Everest. He talked about how he was "done with that" after his 3rd successful summit. However - he now had an opportunity to be co-director of the IMAX film "Return to Everest" and that was something he couldn't pass up.
Dave and I saw Mike a few days before he left. Mike was recovering from being sick for a couple of weeks and had a slight cough. He hadn't done any training - so he was little concerned about his ability to summit. I was a little concerned because Everest (from what I've read) is a dangerous place and every time he goes back I'm thinking the odds are getting a little higher.
Sounds like the trip was *not* uneventful - check out this post about a body recovery.
I'm glad their team made it down ok and hopefully he's done with Everest for good.
Mike - looking forward to seeing you @ the crits!
I was surprised when he told me last fall that he was going back to Everest. He talked about how he was "done with that" after his 3rd successful summit. However - he now had an opportunity to be co-director of the IMAX film "Return to Everest" and that was something he couldn't pass up.
Dave and I saw Mike a few days before he left. Mike was recovering from being sick for a couple of weeks and had a slight cough. He hadn't done any training - so he was little concerned about his ability to summit. I was a little concerned because Everest (from what I've read) is a dangerous place and every time he goes back I'm thinking the odds are getting a little higher.
Sounds like the trip was *not* uneventful - check out this post about a body recovery.
I'm glad their team made it down ok and hopefully he's done with Everest for good.
Mike - looking forward to seeing you @ the crits!
Comments