community

When I had lunch with my ex-boyfriend, Steve, several months ago – he put his hand to my forehead (as if checking if I was sick and had a fever ) when I told him I do a lot of volunteer work. (Mtn bike girls ride organizer, Victim Advocate for BPD, Mentor for welfare women, Math/Science Tutor for 5th grade students, Race Team Board member)

He said “really?!?! That’s not the Cynthia I know!” Even to me it’s very strange that I constantly find myself volunteering as I’m a very selfish person. I think to myself “hey – wait a minute! Why am I volunteering AGAIN?” as I volunteer for a new task.

But here’s why I do it. See this group of girls – all coming together with a common passion and wanting to learn and improve (it totally amazes me that I helped build this). Pic from last night’s “Girls Only Bike Maintenance Clinic”.

The whole “Tuesday Girl’s Ride” has reached the tipping point of being self sufficient. It will survive without me driving it anymore as a community has been built(2 years in the making). I have several volunteers for next year to hand off the weekly rides and will be able to share the work load with others.

I must say – when I walk away from a volunteer effort I usually feel like I actually “helped” someone and/or helped contribute some “good will” to the world.

Whether it to be - the wonder of someone pushing their limits, or people connecting with new friends, or someone getting the support they need, or listening to person that has experienced a trauma, or having someone find the joy of learning, or seeing people becoming more confident and self-reliant, etc. That’s a pretty good feeling.

hmmm….i’m pretty darn lucky for this to be part of my world.….hee-hee - no *wonder* every day feels like my birthday! ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
cyn - U R a true angel
donnie said…
yep, you are an angel, indeed. Glad to know you. :)

Popular Posts