then and now....

During my trip I had lunch with my ex-boyfriend, Steve. He’s been mentioned a few times since I’ve been blogging – in the “pancakes”, “happiness *is* the corner” and “my obsession with pool...” posts.I was looking forward to seeing him as it has been ~5years since we’ve last seen each other.

Since then he’s gotten married, has a step-daughter, bought a fancy house somewhere in the suburbs, is "slinging code" as a software architect/engineer, has a Siberian Husky and has a baby due any day now.

I met Steve 10 years ago at a software conference. I was mightily impressed with him. Here's a pic of us circa 1997 @ Patchs (#10 on the pancake list)

He is brilliantly smart, very intense, focused and curious. I swear when his mind is churning on something you can almost see the energy he is generating – probably enough to light up a house. ;)

His intelligence and personality keeps him questioning the status quo, looking for innovative ways to do things, and searching (I’m not sure how to describe it) for the truth. Not in an “absolute justice” kind of way but in “how does this really work”/”what’s *really* the underlying premise” kind of way. I’m probably not explaining this well - as I realized the other day at lunch – I’m not as articulate as he is…

In short – he’s one of *those guys* that can lead the charge in innovative software engineering and architecture. And he’s one of *those guys* that can make things happen by sheer force of will.

He did make an indelible impression in my life even tho he was only in it for ~2/2.5 years. We had an intense relationship that imploded due to my selfishness and obsession with pool. What a shocker to find out pool and my addiction to it wasn’t the center of the universe. Oh well….nothing like a broken heart to put things in perspective.

It was great to see him and catch up. During our lunch - I felt an echo of the intense conversations we used to have - where large chunks of time would disappear in nanosecond.

He was 30when I met him and will be turning 40 soon. We talked about keeping in touch a little more often – it will be interesting hearing about his adventures into Daddyhood. :)

Here’s a pic of us 10 years later…

Comments

Popular Posts