observation - the "fig leaf" stance

So I went to see my doctor earlier this week.

It was Monday morning and several pregnant women were in the waiting room with their husbands.

First of all - i think it's super cool that the partners of these women are coming to the doctor appointments. Things have changed over the years and the men now seem to be more interactive in the process of having and rearing children. All the guys I work with seem to do about 50% of the child rearing tasks (changing diapers, taking care of sick kids, taking them to school, bathing them, etc)

I remember in the "old days - circa mid-80s" when I first started as a computer programmer - all the guys i worked with left it to the wife to handle all these things.

So I'm liking the more progressive attitude nowadays.

But I digress...the whole point of this post is of the 5 men I saw at the doctor's office - all of them had the same body language.

The "fig leaf" position. Shoulders slightly
hunched, eyes downcast, and hands folded in front of their bodies. It was the look of men out of their element. They(even a couple of the really athletic looking ones) all looked very uncomfortable and insecure.

I searched the internet for a good pic and this one is the closest I have come to depicting the look. The guy in the center has the basic stance down...
interesting, eh?

Comments

Popular Posts