i never thought I'd do this either
with much trepidation i signed up for a pool league.
After my dismal performance playing in Santa Fe - the only way i'll maintain(or gain back) any semblance of skill is by playing other people.
It's probably been 10 or 11(!) years since I've played in a league. I don't much care of playing in a pool league I would much rather play tournaments. In tournaments you show up when you feel like it(no long term commitments) - you stay and play as long as you are winning - you lose - you go home. Simple.
League is much more complicated - you have team dynamics, sandbagging, machismo BS (well you have that in tourneys too), socializing, you have to stay whether you are playing, and you have to show up every week.
Luckily it's late in the season with only 5 weeks of playing left so i figured maybe I can get some groove back and maybe find a sparring partner.
I don't want to continue to play league either as I really don't like the culture of the pool scene. Don't get me wrong - there are great people in the sport(if you can call it a sport) but in general most of the people that play don't have the same values/interests as I do...

After my dismal performance playing in Santa Fe - the only way i'll maintain(or gain back) any semblance of skill is by playing other people.
It's probably been 10 or 11(!) years since I've played in a league. I don't much care of playing in a pool league I would much rather play tournaments. In tournaments you show up when you feel like it(no long term commitments) - you stay and play as long as you are winning - you lose - you go home. Simple.
League is much more complicated - you have team dynamics, sandbagging, machismo BS (well you have that in tourneys too), socializing, you have to stay whether you are playing, and you have to show up every week.
Luckily it's late in the season with only 5 weeks of playing left so i figured maybe I can get some groove back and maybe find a sparring partner.
I don't want to continue to play league either as I really don't like the culture of the pool scene. Don't get me wrong - there are great people in the sport(if you can call it a sport) but in general most of the people that play don't have the same values/interests as I do...
Comments