solo singlespeed jaunt - picture rock
I took Friday off to ride my bike - the weather was cloudy and overcast with temps in the 40s.
I was looking forward to riding the newly opened singletrack that connects Heil to Hall - that makes for continuous dirt riding for several miles. woot!
the ride plan
I estimated this would be ~23miles.
actual ride
Picture Rock Trail review
bottom line - I came away from this ride thinking 'meh - it definitely won't be my favorite local trail'
on the upside....
First of all - it's great that there is new trail available - the Heil/Hall connector will be a great way to get lots of continuous dirt miles in(for those us that like that kind of thing)
The scenery is awesome on this trail
The climb is perfect for the singlespeed
There is decent flow on the bottom part of this ride.
on the downside...
There were a lot of blind corners. I was riding early on a Friday afternoon and 2 guys nearly ran me over hauling it on their way down while I was on the way up. If that happens on a 'not busy' day - no telling how many times that will happen on a busy day.
The top part of the trail is bumpy, choppy and stuttering. At first I thought it was me - I haven't been riding the rigid SS a lot so maybe I was just having an off day. But then on my 2nd time up the hill (to find my vest) when I knew what to expect - the trail still seemed choppy and hard to get any flow going.
I received further validation of my feelings on this when I talked to Carey and Craig. They are both awesome riders and they came away with the same feeling I had.
So all-in-all I'm glad I finally got to ride Picture Rock - but I'm not super jazzed about it - it will be one of the 'it will do' rides.
I was looking forward to riding the newly opened singletrack that connects Heil to Hall - that makes for continuous dirt riding for several miles. woot!
the ride plan
- start in lyons
- ride up antelope
- do the loop
- ride down the rock garden
- ride up Picture Rock (new trail)
- ride the Wild Turkey loop
- ride down Picture Rock back to the car.
I estimated this would be ~23miles.
actual ride
- I got a late start
- rode up Antelope
- didn't ride the loop
- rode down the rock garden
- up Picture Rock
- rode part of wild turkey loop (realized I needed to be heading home and turned around)
- rode down Picture rock to the rock quarry (realized I had dropped my kick ass most favorite vest somewhere on the trail!!!)
- saw some guys and they said they saw my vest at the very top of Picture Rock (ugghh!)
- turned around and busted ass back up the hill and found it
- turned my tired ass around and rode down Picture rock to the car
Picture Rock Trail review
bottom line - I came away from this ride thinking 'meh - it definitely won't be my favorite local trail'
on the upside....
First of all - it's great that there is new trail available - the Heil/Hall connector will be a great way to get lots of continuous dirt miles in(for those us that like that kind of thing)
The scenery is awesome on this trail
The climb is perfect for the singlespeed
There is decent flow on the bottom part of this ride.
on the downside...
There were a lot of blind corners. I was riding early on a Friday afternoon and 2 guys nearly ran me over hauling it on their way down while I was on the way up. If that happens on a 'not busy' day - no telling how many times that will happen on a busy day.
The top part of the trail is bumpy, choppy and stuttering. At first I thought it was me - I haven't been riding the rigid SS a lot so maybe I was just having an off day. But then on my 2nd time up the hill (to find my vest) when I knew what to expect - the trail still seemed choppy and hard to get any flow going.
I received further validation of my feelings on this when I talked to Carey and Craig. They are both awesome riders and they came away with the same feeling I had.
So all-in-all I'm glad I finally got to ride Picture Rock - but I'm not super jazzed about it - it will be one of the 'it will do' rides.
Comments