something has gotta give
This running thing is making me give up one of the things I love best about off-season - strength training.
Once upon a time...
One of my favorite things about mtn biking off-season is strength training at the Alpine Training Center. I love the workouts - they are good, honest-to-goodness, full body, tough workouts.
The past 2 off seasons I went faithfully 3 times a week - I dare say I was addicted to the ATC.
Plus who could not feel good about:
being able to swing a 24kg (53lbs) kettlebell that is half your body weight
being able to climb a 15ft rope without foot locks - only using arms and core
being able to do 10 dead-hang pull-ups in a row - yes with full extension and without any of that swinging and kicking and kipping.
Running is taking all my reserves
Last off-season I was able to do ~6 -7 hours of biking and 3 days ATC workouts per week - no problem.
But - 2 weeks into my half marathon training putting in ~25 miles of running per week - I have been too tired to go to the ATC. I know myself well enough to know if I go to the ATC I will be digging myself into an over training hole.
I'm hoping that once my 'running chassis' gets in place and I'm used to running 25 -35+ miles per week - I can slowly start incorporating going to the ATC again.
In the meantime - I purchased this book. I saw a blogger, Jill had recommended it on someone else's blog. I checked it out at the bookstore and really liked it so I bought it.
I figured I could take what I know from the ATC and match it up with some of the exercises demonstrated in the book. At this point I am going to try to do a couple of easy 30 minute strength sessions per week at the regular gym just to keep some of my strength.
I'm hoping eventually I will be fit enough in the running department to be able to go back to the ATC...I sure to miss the coach, Connie, all the people that workout there and the hard work.
Once upon a time...
One of my favorite things about mtn biking off-season is strength training at the Alpine Training Center. I love the workouts - they are good, honest-to-goodness, full body, tough workouts.
The past 2 off seasons I went faithfully 3 times a week - I dare say I was addicted to the ATC.
Plus who could not feel good about:
being able to swing a 24kg (53lbs) kettlebell that is half your body weight
being able to climb a 15ft rope without foot locks - only using arms and core
being able to do 10 dead-hang pull-ups in a row - yes with full extension and without any of that swinging and kicking and kipping.
Running is taking all my reserves
Last off-season I was able to do ~6 -7 hours of biking and 3 days ATC workouts per week - no problem.
But - 2 weeks into my half marathon training putting in ~25 miles of running per week - I have been too tired to go to the ATC. I know myself well enough to know if I go to the ATC I will be digging myself into an over training hole.
I'm hoping that once my 'running chassis' gets in place and I'm used to running 25 -35+ miles per week - I can slowly start incorporating going to the ATC again.
In the meantime - I purchased this book. I saw a blogger, Jill had recommended it on someone else's blog. I checked it out at the bookstore and really liked it so I bought it.
I figured I could take what I know from the ATC and match it up with some of the exercises demonstrated in the book. At this point I am going to try to do a couple of easy 30 minute strength sessions per week at the regular gym just to keep some of my strength.
I'm hoping eventually I will be fit enough in the running department to be able to go back to the ATC...I sure to miss the coach, Connie, all the people that workout there and the hard work.


Comments