Pancakes

I love pancakes. I don't recall being so addicted to them as a child - but as an adult i've become a connoisseur. (at least in my own mind)

In all my adult life the best pancakes I ever had (sorry dana - but your's are close 2nd) were at the "Pink Pony" at the Circus Circus Casino in Las Vegas. how ridiculous is that?!?!? The best cakes are in some cheesy casino.
(omg - i just realized this is such a coincidence as jeny has a pink pony)

I would go every year
(1996 - 2000) for a pool tournament and every year i'd be amazed that they were just as good as i remember.

(true pancake story)
There were so good in fact that once my ex-boyfriend, Steve, was driving me to the Whole Foods in Dallas where they had this "Blue Bonnet" cafe.

The Blue Bonnet pancakes rank in the top 5. They had awesome multi-grain cakes with maple syrup. pretty darn good.

Anyways - on the weekends they quit serving pancakes @ 1pm. Once, I knew i was cutting it close in getting there in time and Steve was driving slowly and chatting and having a good time. All the while i'm getting more anxious watching the time and thinking we aren't going to get there in time. He was oblivious to my anxiety. We got there @ 1:05 and they weren't serving pancakes anymore. I was so disappointed i started crying.

Steve knowing how much i love my cakes drove straight home, got on the internet and was threatening to book some tickets to Vegas just so i could get my cakes. I didn't let him as that would have been just silly - but that's how much i love pancakes.

(busted - another true story)
When I first started dating Dave i sent him a link to my pix site. pix of hiking, hanging out with friends, playing pool, moto stuff, etc. I'm on the phone with him (i don't know him very well at the time) and he says "I looked at your pictures - so what's up with you and pancakes" I blushed so hard. I was surprised he caught that - i thought to myself "this guy pays attention - he might be a keeper!"

In all honesty - the Walnut Cafe has the 2nd best cakes. When they are cooked to perfection - there isn't anything in the world much better. Springy on the inside, moist yet firm, a little crunchy and crusty on the outside. oh my - my mouth is watering just describing them.

Top Ten List
  1. Pink Pony - Las Vegas
  2. Walnut Cafe - Bouldler
  3. Kerbey Lane Cafe - Austin
  4. Blue Angel Cafe - South Lake Tahoe
  5. Blue Bonnet Cafe - Dallas
  6. Pancake House - Dallas
  7. Turley's - Boulder
  8. The Buff - Boulder
  9. The Marrietette Diner - Atlanta
  10. Patchs - Tampa

Comments

donnie said…
Hey, there's a restaurant out hwy 72 towards Wondervu that has a big PANCAKES sign out front. Ever eaten there? I think it's 72...
Sonya said…
You need to hit up Huckleberry in Louisville. those pancakes are mmmmmm soooo goooood.

Popular Posts