life stuff...
Life just keeps trucking along and with that the continual cycles and issues of everyday living.
Food/weight/eating
I love to eat. As an avid cyclist - weight is always on my mind.
During the riding season I usually weigh in ~106 - 108lbs. I'm fairly happy with myself at this weight but I do carry a bit of fat around my belly, upper back and arms. Normally I gain around 5 - 7lbs during the winter and then fight the battle to take it off at the beginning of the year. But this year I stayed at my cycling weight all winter. (whew!)
For the past year or so I've used fitday to help me keep track of my nutrition/calorie intake. Here's what January looked like.
I've always felt I could stand to loose another 3 lbs of fat - but I wouldn't want to drop any more than that. As of this morning i was 107.8. My friend, Alicia, noticed when she was giving me a massage last week that my traps and lats have gotten bigger. And the other day when i was playing my guitar I noticed I had a little gun poking out. So actually - even tho i'm at my riding weight from last year - I do think I've packed on a little bit more muscle from the uppper body weight workouts and i'm a tad bit leaner. *However* - I haven't put much thought into changing my eating habits much as I felt I was doing pretty well.
But then I had a conversation with Jen. She said that my "17 pullups" post got her thinking about getting leaner. So she had a few conversations with an expert, Lynda W and now Jen was on a mission to get leaner. She's using fitday and says the key is (per Lynda) is to eat like a cavewoman and keep the fat intake down to 20% or less.
As you can see from my normal diet - I run ~26% fat intake. So I changed my eating habits yesterday to try to get down to 20% or less. Here's my effort from yesterday.
Man - it's hard to get down to that low a of fat intake. I looks i'll have to give up my beloved peanut butter I eat everyday.
I only eat 1 tablespoon per day but even tho i was able to eat it yesterday - I think in the scheme of things I'll have to give it up. I'll only do the 20% fat eating plan for a month and see if I can drop that 3lbs. the main reason I'm even putting it on the blog is my stating my goal in public - I'll have to stick to it!!! So by April 12th - I should weigh ~103/104 lbs. ;)
Training
I'm not planning on racing much this year - I just want to ride my bike. My goal is to become a better technical rider. I'm a decent technical rider - but I'd love to be able to huck 3ft drops with skill and confidence, pop my wheel up and over 18"+ steps and ride tight switchbacks a bit better - so my focus is gonna be that and endurance.
Right now - I road ride at lunch for an hour at least 2 or 3 times a week (weather permitting), speedskate 3 times a week, run 2 or 3 times a week, lift upper body weights 2 times a week and I've been doing back-to-back weekend rides of at least 3 hours. I have to watch it that I don't overdo it. Some days I'll skate, ride, run and lift - then I'm *very* tired the next day and can't do anything. It's so hard to balance it all out. I'm definitely listening to my body tho and resting when I get that "wiped out" feeling. Like today - I didn't skate this morning.
On the endurance side - I have 2 - 5 day Colorado Trail mtn bike trips planned this year. One with Dana and another with Mark F. I'm also toying with the idea of doing the AMC stage race - but it's pricey. $400 entry fee and since I'd probably go by myself and hotel it - I'm looking at least dropping $1000. Expensive for sure. Plus - I'm not sure I'll have the endurance by then to do that kind of race. I probably won't decide until much later in the season
Dave and his job.
Dave got laid off from his job a week and a half ago. The company he worked for is funded by small business research grants from the government and several of their projects ended on 2/29/08. Dave loves to tinker and invent so this was the perfect job for him developing electronics and hardware for biologicial/airborne pategon sensors and all kinds of other stuff that is way over my head. He worked many a weekend at that place because it was "fun". So it's a bummer for him that he isn't there anymore.
Personally - i think it will be better for him - he was underpaid for sure. But he prefers to make less money and have interesting work than to make big $ and not like what he's doing. Hopefully he'll find something that pays him what he's worth and doing something he likes too. And hopefully he'll have his weekends back. As a EE and with his skill set - I'm pretty confident he'll have no trouble finding another job.
But still - it's a bummer for him and I'm giving him all the support he needs.
Relationships.
Speaking of Dave - I was all excited that i'm getting some little guns. I told Dave (as I flexed my muscle for him) "look! I'm getting some little biceps! Can you tell?? huh? huh?l". He looks at me and shakes his head and says he can't tell a difference. I sigh... But I guess i shouldn't be to sad that he can't tell the difference - a couple of years ago when I weighed 114lbs and lost 7lbs - I asked him "why didn't you tell me i was fat". He goes "I didn't think you were fat - you looked the same to me". So fat or lean - I guess he sees and loves me just the same. ;)
Like I said - life keeps trucking along with all it's hurdles.
Food/weight/eating
I love to eat. As an avid cyclist - weight is always on my mind.
During the riding season I usually weigh in ~106 - 108lbs. I'm fairly happy with myself at this weight but I do carry a bit of fat around my belly, upper back and arms. Normally I gain around 5 - 7lbs during the winter and then fight the battle to take it off at the beginning of the year. But this year I stayed at my cycling weight all winter. (whew!)
For the past year or so I've used fitday to help me keep track of my nutrition/calorie intake. Here's what January looked like.
But then I had a conversation with Jen. She said that my "17 pullups" post got her thinking about getting leaner. So she had a few conversations with an expert, Lynda W and now Jen was on a mission to get leaner. She's using fitday and says the key is (per Lynda) is to eat like a cavewoman and keep the fat intake down to 20% or less.
As you can see from my normal diet - I run ~26% fat intake. So I changed my eating habits yesterday to try to get down to 20% or less. Here's my effort from yesterday.
I only eat 1 tablespoon per day but even tho i was able to eat it yesterday - I think in the scheme of things I'll have to give it up. I'll only do the 20% fat eating plan for a month and see if I can drop that 3lbs. the main reason I'm even putting it on the blog is my stating my goal in public - I'll have to stick to it!!! So by April 12th - I should weigh ~103/104 lbs. ;)Training
I'm not planning on racing much this year - I just want to ride my bike. My goal is to become a better technical rider. I'm a decent technical rider - but I'd love to be able to huck 3ft drops with skill and confidence, pop my wheel up and over 18"+ steps and ride tight switchbacks a bit better - so my focus is gonna be that and endurance.
Right now - I road ride at lunch for an hour at least 2 or 3 times a week (weather permitting), speedskate 3 times a week, run 2 or 3 times a week, lift upper body weights 2 times a week and I've been doing back-to-back weekend rides of at least 3 hours. I have to watch it that I don't overdo it. Some days I'll skate, ride, run and lift - then I'm *very* tired the next day and can't do anything. It's so hard to balance it all out. I'm definitely listening to my body tho and resting when I get that "wiped out" feeling. Like today - I didn't skate this morning.
On the endurance side - I have 2 - 5 day Colorado Trail mtn bike trips planned this year. One with Dana and another with Mark F. I'm also toying with the idea of doing the AMC stage race - but it's pricey. $400 entry fee and since I'd probably go by myself and hotel it - I'm looking at least dropping $1000. Expensive for sure. Plus - I'm not sure I'll have the endurance by then to do that kind of race. I probably won't decide until much later in the season
Dave and his job.
Dave got laid off from his job a week and a half ago. The company he worked for is funded by small business research grants from the government and several of their projects ended on 2/29/08. Dave loves to tinker and invent so this was the perfect job for him developing electronics and hardware for biologicial/airborne pategon sensors and all kinds of other stuff that is way over my head. He worked many a weekend at that place because it was "fun". So it's a bummer for him that he isn't there anymore.
Personally - i think it will be better for him - he was underpaid for sure. But he prefers to make less money and have interesting work than to make big $ and not like what he's doing. Hopefully he'll find something that pays him what he's worth and doing something he likes too. And hopefully he'll have his weekends back. As a EE and with his skill set - I'm pretty confident he'll have no trouble finding another job.
But still - it's a bummer for him and I'm giving him all the support he needs.
Relationships.
Speaking of Dave - I was all excited that i'm getting some little guns. I told Dave (as I flexed my muscle for him) "look! I'm getting some little biceps! Can you tell?? huh? huh?l". He looks at me and shakes his head and says he can't tell a difference. I sigh... But I guess i shouldn't be to sad that he can't tell the difference - a couple of years ago when I weighed 114lbs and lost 7lbs - I asked him "why didn't you tell me i was fat". He goes "I didn't think you were fat - you looked the same to me". So fat or lean - I guess he sees and loves me just the same. ;)
Like I said - life keeps trucking along with all it's hurdles.
Comments