mind games...

your mind controls everything.

How many times have you made "decisions" only to find yourself waffling and going back and forth "after" the decision is made?

Deciding defined
from Merriam-Webster's online dictionary

decide
1 a: to make a final choice or judgment about
2: to bring to a definitive end

The key words in the definition are "final" "definitive". If a decision was truly a "decision" then there would be no waffling going on.

But on the other hand if there is a decision to be made and someone "can't decide" and takes no action - well that in itself is a decision. Usually when a decision is made like this the person says "it just happened". To this I say 'not making a decision is a decision'. I think Rush has a song that says this too.

Making Decisions

I find that sometimes I *think* I decide on something only to find myself second guessing or waffling. Then I think to myself - well i guess i didn't really decide. When I make a true decision about something then the all the second guessing stops.

Like when I was going to school as an adult - as each semester came up and I knew I'd have to give up my free time and be disciplined in order to accomplish my goals. Did I want to give up my free time and work hard? Heck no! But after I made the decision to commit to school - then mentally I didn't give myself an option to waffle. The decision was made and I had no choice to be apply myself to achieve my goal.

Maybe it's just my personality to stick with something. When i asked Dave was he surprised I decided to learn how to play guitar since I had never shown any interest before. He said "yes - I was surprised". I asked "did you think I'd stick with it?" He goes "yes - when you decide to do something you stick with it and don't give up. It's a done deal"

It's funny when I truly make a decision about something - then the rest becomes easy.

Decision time
The reason I've been thinking about this is because of the changes in my diet. Changing my diet to more veggies, less whole grain products, increasing my protein and reducing my fat has been an adjustment for me. It means giving up a lot of things I really enjoy eating. Peanut butter, guacamole (yes - i know it's good fat - but it's STILL fat), tortillas, chips and sasla (at least the chips part), cheese, etc.

Since I've made this decision - it's been easy to stay on track. The real test of this was this weekend at Zolos.

Now everyone that knows me - knows I LOVE the guacamole and margs at Zolo. I'm a sucker for their guac - it's the best ever!(see associated blog post)

On Saturday night I met Sasha there for a drink. I had budgeted to have a half a glass of wine in my food consumption for this day. As I hung out with Sasha at Zolo and drank my half glass of red wine while she drank her 2 margs and ate her order of chips/guac and a yummy looking breaded pan-fried chicken salad with bacon/eggs/garlic salad dressed. I had NO temptation to even have 1 dip of guacamole. It was totally easy to keep on track and have no desire to cheat.

Since I've made this decision to change my eating habits I don't have an option - the decision is made.

Comments

Popular Posts