*take it easy on me* and other pool hustler phrases
(all pool player phrases enclosed in *)
Went to The Foundry to *hit some balls* last night.
there i was practicing by myself and this older gentleman comes over and says "I'll play a few games with you if you promise to *take it easy on me*"
now the only people that say that phrase are folks that have spent a lot of time a pool hall - you never hear an recreational player say that. but i was warmed up wouldn't mind playing a competitive game or two so I said "sure"
Since I was practicing 9ball and the guy, Don (or maybe Dan - i don't quite remember) racks them up.
Don looks at me and says (very confidently) "i know the rules for 9 ball"
me: "yeah - figured you did"
don(smiling widely and showing me his cue ): "why? because i have a really nice cue?"
me: "nope - because only really good players say *take it easy on me*"
don: "oh"
don: "btw - what's your name - is it Angel?
me (mentally rolling my eyes and thinking that has got to be the cheesiest line i've heard in a LONG time): "no - it's cynthia"
me (thinking to myself - ok - this one game and I'm done)
don is chatting the whole time we are playing but it's so loud i can barely hear what he's saying - i just smile and nod.
it went back and forth. It's so funny - when people start *getting a good run going* you can see their body language becoming cocky and can almost predict when they will make a mistake. I've seen a lot in my pool playing days and I know to never, ever look nervous/anxious and that anything and I mean anything can happened. (ohh...the hours upon hours i've spent in a pool hall to know this....)
He *ran a down to the 7* and had an easy shot on it with a nice setup to *run out*. So i'm sitting there with my game face on - I saw him look at me knowingly as if thinking "sorry girlie - *i'm fixin' to run out*" and i knew he'd miss. sure enough - he *bobbled the 7*. I won the game. He shrugged and said "oh well - *i'm a good rack boy*" (meaning - let's play again) but i but the kabosh on that and said "thanks for the game - but i'm gonna continue to *hit the balls* on my own"
I felt bad about not playing more but wouldn't have minded some head-to-head pool games - but this guy was giving me the talking/socalizing vibe and i just wasn't up for it.
As he walks away he says (again a *pool player* phrase): "*you shoot good*"
me: "yeah - you do too"
Went to The Foundry to *hit some balls* last night.
there i was practicing by myself and this older gentleman comes over and says "I'll play a few games with you if you promise to *take it easy on me*"
now the only people that say that phrase are folks that have spent a lot of time a pool hall - you never hear an recreational player say that. but i was warmed up wouldn't mind playing a competitive game or two so I said "sure"
Since I was practicing 9ball and the guy, Don (or maybe Dan - i don't quite remember) racks them up.
Don looks at me and says (very confidently) "i know the rules for 9 ball"
me: "yeah - figured you did"
don(smiling widely and showing me his cue ): "why? because i have a really nice cue?"
me: "nope - because only really good players say *take it easy on me*"
don: "oh"
don: "btw - what's your name - is it Angel?
me (mentally rolling my eyes and thinking that has got to be the cheesiest line i've heard in a LONG time): "no - it's cynthia"
me (thinking to myself - ok - this one game and I'm done)
don is chatting the whole time we are playing but it's so loud i can barely hear what he's saying - i just smile and nod.
it went back and forth. It's so funny - when people start *getting a good run going* you can see their body language becoming cocky and can almost predict when they will make a mistake. I've seen a lot in my pool playing days and I know to never, ever look nervous/anxious and that anything and I mean anything can happened. (ohh...the hours upon hours i've spent in a pool hall to know this....)
He *ran a down to the 7* and had an easy shot on it with a nice setup to *run out*. So i'm sitting there with my game face on - I saw him look at me knowingly as if thinking "sorry girlie - *i'm fixin' to run out*" and i knew he'd miss. sure enough - he *bobbled the 7*. I won the game. He shrugged and said "oh well - *i'm a good rack boy*" (meaning - let's play again) but i but the kabosh on that and said "thanks for the game - but i'm gonna continue to *hit the balls* on my own"
I felt bad about not playing more but wouldn't have minded some head-to-head pool games - but this guy was giving me the talking/socalizing vibe and i just wasn't up for it.
As he walks away he says (again a *pool player* phrase): "*you shoot good*"
me: "yeah - you do too"
Comments