"Hurricane of Pain" - the crits begin

It was 101 degrees at the start of the 1st dirt crit of the season. I WAS not motiviated to go hard in the stifling heat - but there we were - 9 girls lined up and ready to go at it. 1-2-3-GO! I started off in 5th place and thought i would just hold this place and not kill myself.


Lap 1 - I hang on to 5th place and see 4th place fading a bit. hmm...should I make a move?
Do I *want* to put out the effort to make a move?? (speed avg 12.8mph)


Lap 2 - On the whoops
and corners - I'm quickly making time on 4th place. She's strong on the flats - but i'm better on the moderately technical stuff. On the front straight I make a move - shift to a bigger gear and crank it past her before the next turn. (speed avg 12.9mph - hitting a whopping 22(!)mph during my pass of 4th place)


Lap 3 - ooowww! that pass cost me. I didn't blow up - but i was hurting pretty good. I try to ride smooth and put some distance between us. I ride by
Dave and he says the girl i passed is 5 seconds back. focus! focus! (speed average - 11.8mph - boy did that pass cost me!)


Lap 4 - I'm still trying to recover and maintain a decent pace. i can't see 3rd place - but I'm putting a little bit more distance on the girl behind me. Dave calls out "10 seconds back" - so I am increasing the gap. man! this friggin' hurts! now - who's great idea was it to ride as HARD as possible in 100 degree weather. (speed average - 11.8mph - still recovering)


Lap 5 - hmmm....I'm feeling a bit better - i step it up a bit and ride smooth through the whoops. (speed average 12.0 mph - hmm picking it up!)


Lap 6 - last lap - Dave says the girl behind is 20 seconds back (an long time in crit time) and I'm feeling better and really step it up and see 3rd place but can't catch her. I finish 4th.
(speed avgerage 12.5mph- whew - done!)
not too shabby for not being movtiviated!

Comments

Popular Posts