my week so far....

Ok...i know my blog is boring - it's about bikes and riding bikes. same old...same old..

Sunday - Winter Park Circuit Race on the SS
I decided to do this race as a training ride to get some intensity in. I read on the website it would be around ~1800 elevation gain for 2 laps. hmmm...not bad - so i decided to race my SS.

The SSers start with the Expert girls. I'm not used to this and was worried about the Sport Men catching up to me and making bad passes. But what can you do, eh?

At the start it was me and another girl - jordana. she was on a 29er. She's a strong climber - so i knew she'd be tough to beat. The first climb lasts about 4 minutes. We were pretty much neck-and-neck until the flat section. I turned on the flat section first and spun my pedals as fast as I could. I looked back and didn't see her.


About 1/2 way through the first lap - this girl on a SS in a Pink jersey blasts past me! huh??? guess she missed her start. There was no way in hell i could keep up with her. I watched her ride away. damn! As i'm still on the first lap - i'm thinking. "whoa! this sure is a lot of climbing for *only* 1800 feet elevation gain??" I make it through the first lap and start the 2nd. All of a sudden Jordana is next to me. damn! am I getting slow? i pick up the pace and keep on climbing. At the next descent Jordana caught up to me and dropped my slow descending butt. crap! on well - what can you do? I rode as hard as i could and by the time i got to the last climb - i didn't care where i finished - i just wanted to be able to keep turning the pedals and stay on my bike. Which is what i did. pink jersey girl was 1st with a time of 1:46, Jordana was 2nd with 1:52 and me (3rd) with 1:55.

Jordana was impressed with my climbing - she's like "wow! you've gotten really strong or I've gotten really weak. You are climbing well." I guess i was doing fairly well - i gain time on the climbs and she'd get me on the descents. I was also leap frogging with a couple of other expert girls. hmmm....wonder what i could've done with gears?? Maybe I don't suck!

Also, i downloaded my data and saw the race was a whopping 2400 feet elevation gain in 16 miles. NO wonder it was so hard! I'm pretty proud of myself now! that wasn't an easy feat!

whew! that was hard. i drove to Summit County after the race and rode for another 1.5 hours in order to get some volume in. needless to say I was pooped!


Monday - Worked remote and rode part of the FC 50 course

I did a 3 hour ride after work on Monday. Started on boress pass rd - rode to the last descent of the FC
50 (fun stuff) then rode up the first 6 mile climb, descended the singletrack and did the 6 mile climb again. I was tired - but still mostly able to keep it in the middle ring (except for a 1mile road section).

that night i was so tired i couldn't sleep. I hate being that tired.


Tuesday - Girls ride and Rio
I organize a girls ride every Tuesday. this time it was only 3 of us. me, Melanie and Jenifer. We rode Betasso - had fun and then went for Margs and Mexican food. yummy!!!

Wednesday - working on descents with Akria www.ripstoke.com
My friend Akria has been promising to work with me on descending. I need help as so clearly shown to me at Sunday's race. I met him @ 8:30 at his house. We did some turning drills and worked on the Pump Track as his house. Then we head to Winter Park ride the lifts. He helped me with body position. A bit different that Lee's suggestions - but easy to incorporate together. We did several runs and by the end of the day i had improved greatly. hmm...wonder if it will help this weekend??

I LOVE riding my bike!!

Comments

Popular Posts