Volunteering

Since ricky graduated from High School and went to college I’ve devoted my life to doing what *I* want to do and playing as hard as possible. In this selfish lifestyle I don’t have pets or plants. My motto – “if it can’t feed and water itself – it has no place in my home”

In the last 5 years I’ve traveled all over the country and some of the world, moved to CO, learned to rock and ice climb, learned to ride and race motorcycles, done some trail running, ridden my road and mtn bike countless miles. In short – I’ve been very selfish in trying every whim that comes my way.

So in this pursuit of selfishness I’m shocked that I find myself over that past few years committing to long term volunteering. I don’t *feel* like I’m one of the those selfless social worker types – so I sometimes I briefly ponder on *why* this has appeal to me – then shrug it off and keep on trying to keep a balance between work, play, personal relationships and volunteering.

For the past 3 years I’ve been a Victim Advocate for the Boulder Police Department. (on call 1 week a month)
This past school year I mentored a 5th grade student in reading and science (1.5 hours per week during the school year)
Currently mentoring a woman on welfare – Boulder’s welfare program is setup to move women to self-sufficiency within 5 years. (1 – 3 hours a week of phone or one-on-one contact)

Victim Adovcate for BPD
This is very rewarding for my personality. I’m on call for 1 week out of the month. It’s interesting and gratifying work. After every call I *always* felt that I’ve helped people and have served my community. Basically we provide information and emotional support to a person impacted by a crime or accident. Boulder County has several good resources and we’ve been trained on what is available. Stuff that isn’t common knowledge to most people. But mostly the *work* consists of listening and listening well. In many instances I just slip into “friend mode” and it helps.

There’s an element of anticipation when you are on call for many reasons
You never know when/if you will get called
No call is every the same
The variety of calls keeps you on your toes
Samples of calls
Domestic volience
Child abuse
Car hit cyclist
Death notification for a person that died in a helicopter crash (this was 3 days after Christmas)
Attempted kidnapping
Indecent exposure
The list goes on-and-on

Mentoring 5th grade student
Every other week we read about geology, renewable energy or some other science topic and then the following week we would do a hands on activity that related to the previous week’s reading. This was challenging for me as it was hard to get my student excited about our projects – she mainly wanted to finish in a hurry to go outside and jump rope. I don’t know how helpful I was this past year. Maybe I can do better next year and get my student passionate about science.

Mentoring a welfare Mom.
Wow! Is this challenging work.

The 1st person I was assigned to – we talked briefly 1 time and then she never returned any more of my calls.

So the director assigned me to another person.

I spoke on the phone to a new girl and she seemed like a really good person, she was easy to talk to and seemed eager to develop a relationship.

We met in person and I was really impressed with her.

In her world, drugs, alcohol, dysfunctional family, low education and other challenges are constant. She seemed to be focused on being a good Mom to her 1.5 year old daughter and very self-aware of her strengths and weaknesses. To be that focused and self-aware in spite of all the turmoil in her life is very impressive.

We talked about riding together on a tandem bike and pulling a child trailer as one of our outings. We also discussed her coming over to play pool at my house. She likes to play pool.

I’m hopeful I can be an inspiration and a positive influence to her. In my opinion she is a way stronger person than I am and maybe we can learn from each other.

Comments

Popular Posts